Blown head gasket

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caddytrac

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been making many small repairs to my 2001 4x2, things like window regulators, shocks, thermostat, cruise control and a bunch of stuff like that. Pull into work yesterday morning and my engine quickly begins to overheat. I pull the dip stick and the milky oil said it all. I have little faith in the engine maintenance prior to me buying the vehicle six months ago, so, when I tear down the engine i'm sure to find many more things that need to be replaced in there. I guess my question is, is there a different engine I can put into it (other than the 4.0) or should I just rebuild this one? Very frustrated at the moment.

THanks

Different engine needs to be matched up to different PCM/Computer + WiringHarness + Tranny + DriveShaft +... Definitely not PlugNPlay.

as dillard00 mentioned its not simple, i looked in to doing same, a 5.0 out of mustang in a 04 that i need a engine for, if your miles are lower like 150k might be able to do less expensive repair, like you mentioned about not knowing maintenance history its a tough call, sorry to hear ya have trouble.

as dillard00 mentioned its not simple, i looked in to doing same, a 5.0 out of mustang in a 04 that i need a engine for, if your miles are lower like 150k might be able to do less expensive repair, like you mentioned about not knowing maintenance history its a tough call, sorry to hear ya have trouble.
Thanks, just thought I would run it by y'all. Started stripping hoses and radiator yesterday. I'll tear it down and see what I see.

Thanks again

Hey guys, I have been making many small repairs to my 2001 4x2, things like window regulators, shocks, thermostat, cruise control and a bunch of stuff like that. Pull into work yesterday morning and my engine quickly begins to overheat. I pull the dip stick and the milky oil said it all. I have little faith in the engine maintenance prior to me buying the vehicle six months ago, so, when I tear down the engine i'm sure to find many more things that need to be replaced in there. I guess my question is, is there a different engine I can put into it (other than the 4.0) or should I just rebuild this one? Very frustrated at the moment.

THanks
I have the same problem on my 2005 Sport Trac with 230,000 miles. Was told the engine is not rebuildable once the heads have warped because of the overhead cam. The heads cannot be "milled". Was told it is better overwall to buy another engine. In my case I bought a 2010 Sport Trac. I think the Sport Trac is one of the best, most all around useful vehicles ever made. Too bad Ford discontinued it. The "new" Ranger is small and underpowered and EXPENSIVE.

I have the same problem on my 2005 Sport Trac with 230,000 miles. Was told the engine is not rebuildable once the heads have warped because of the overhead cam. The heads cannot be "milled". Was told it is better overwall to buy another engine. In my case I bought a 2010 Sport Trac. I think the Sport Trac is one of the best, most all around useful vehicles ever made. Too bad Ford discontinued it. The "new" Ranger is small and underpowered and EXPENSIVE.
The repair shop down in fla..here double head gasket the warped heads if there not to bad
Sounds crazy… but it works
I know got one 28 k later
Still going strong
Also rebuilts upper half $1600. Installed bad guides…good heads

Well now that I removed the engine and completely torn it down, the driver side head is warped .010 and the passenger side is warped .06.
Anyone know where I could get a set of heads at a reasonable price?
The block is perfect but with a .010 warp on the head that means the camshaft is warp that much to.

Thoughts??

Could you just flycut the head ??? sometimes the cams take a hit and sometimes not... have to look at the bearings ad decide. a good machine shop can test them.
online resources are good for parts, or if a local search can net you some.... depending on the miles, maybe just forget the nonsense and throw in a rebuilt.

I checked with two local machine shops and they want about $800 each to straight/machine the heads. I just wish we had more new vehicle options, in the charlotte area you can't find a new pickup for under 42K.. I am going to try and pull a head from pick a part and check it for warpage before I buy it. If that works then I will go that route. If not, not sure if I want to through another 4K into a truck that isn't worth 5K. AAARR

Latest posts