Boat Launch Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob Dryer

Reaction score
[Broken External Image]:

I've only ever launched my boat at two different launches and they were both in San Diego, at a nice gradual launch. I never had any tire spin or any problems, but this new one (since we moved) it a little longer, steeper, and the water has much more tidal movement.

I only have 2wd and LS. I don't want to be the idiot that can't get his own boat back out of the water (18ft sea-doo sportster approx 1500lbs)

So you seasoned boaters do you think I'll have any problems?

The actual incline looks like concrete...doesnt look rough till you hit the top of the launch..

My 01 is 2 wd and bone stock..I have launched the 19ft Cuddy as well as the 16 ft bass boat from alot worse landings than that..with no problems at all with traction..

It launches and loads as well as the F-150 I had...

Man what I would give for that nice of a launch at all the rivers and lakes I fish..:D

It is all concrete, but has mud and slop from the tide coming in and out. I think currently we have about a 12 ft tidal variance.

As long as you dont catch low tide and back the trailer off the concrete landings end..I dont see a problem..

Most of the ones I launch from are crush and run..with a few of the better places being concrete with sttep inclines..

You know yourself and your truck better than we do..I'd say give it a test launch and see..

Just back her on down and pull her back out...

I under-estimated mine..I seriously thought I would have problems and didnt..

Good Luck...and safe boating!!!

There is one other thing you can always count on..

Boat people are the coolest people in the world..even if you dropped off the end of the landing..someone will offer assistance..before you can even ask..:banana:

Launch away buddy, you'll be fine. I've launched on shell and gravel ramps that steep and never even slipped, just take it slow and don't stomp on the skinny pedal and you'll be securing for the ride home in no time.

Good luck fishing

CHRIS

If you ever get in trouble. Drop the tire pressure to around 15. Works wonders for ramps, snow, and sand. The take it slow until you can fill em back up tho.

Have good time.

Went out with friends for a little moonlight ride one summer evening and got back late. Tried to get back to the dock but we ran aground! The tide was out with a vengeance! So we waited it out until it came back in. Put the covers up and played cards and slept until about 3AM, when we heard activity at the dock. We looked out and someone had made it in and was loading up. He then proceeded to smoke the tires down on his F150 trying to get the boat out. He finally figured out he'd dropped the trailer off the end of the ramp! He had to wait right there just like we were waiting until the tide came in some more! Three hours later and he was out of there and we were able to load up as well.

Just don't do it like one story I've heard. A man pulled his boat up to the dock at the boat dealership, and complained that he couldn't get it up on plane for anything, and it didn't have any kind of speed. The service tech hopped in and verified that the engine was ok, and the drive worked, and then looked over the stern to see if there was anything wrong with the prop. He was amazed to see this boat came with taillights! He started laughing when he saw the trailer was still attached to the bottom of the boat!:lol:

Michelin LT4 which will be replaced by next winter, and I've also had the discussion with my wife that if I ever get slippage while pulling the boat out that new tires will be purchased that day.

It sounds like as long as I'm cautious I should be fine. Thanks for the confidence boost guys :lol:

my dad used to be the south florida rep for yamaha outboards and we have launched hundreds of boats from 18' to 31' in his '03 sport trac (which i now own)..the trick is easing it up..i was always taught to stay on the brake pretty hard and ease the gas while gradually releasing the break..as long as you know what your doing its a sinch.

i take my 17' hydra-sports out every weekend and every once in a while ill see a much larger truck (most recently a toyota tundra) spinning tire at the ramp trying to get a dual-jetski trailer out..

i love my sport trac!