Body fat calculator

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

08Red STA

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried the body fat test, with the little "steering wheel" lookin thing you hold our in front of you? They have it @ my gym, but I dont see how it can be accurate. Any opinions on the best test to use?

Don't know the best, but can try to explain what you use. The metal section you put your hands on send a small electrical charge through your body. All your major organs hold a small charge and therefore it can measure the percentage of body fat and pounds of fat mass through the electrical connections.

Sondra

These are actually pretty close. I took a weight training class a few semesters ago and we were required to record body fat using both the electronic and pinch versions. The electronic version (both the unit you are talking about and the scales with the foot-pads) was always within a percent of the pinch test. I would consider any electronic mechanism pretty accurate.

Thats pretty good advice Woppy V. That way I could monitor my own progress, but all the ones ive seen were around $50. I'll check ebay! Thanks

I just simply Look in the mirror !!! :lol::lol:

Todd Z

Thats certainly the cheapest way Todd. I just have a hard time gauging my progress by that. Scales can be misleading, so % tests convince me it was worth my effort.

I have to endure body fat testing for my job. From what I've heard, the only truly accurate method involves dunking you in a tank of water and doing some unknown calculations. The pinch/caliper method comes in second, although the accuracy can be affected by how hard the tester pinches the fat. Those body fat scales and electronic devices seem to be all over the board as far as accuracy. I once saw a bodybuilder register 21% body fat on a body fat scale, which was obviously wrong.

Sure Happygil78, Id appreciate that. I cannot afford the dunk test somewhere, and wouldnt know where to start on the calipers test. So between the military way and the electronic, I should be able an idea of where Im at and track my results. HawaiianST, I didnt really do the heavy eating during the holidays, but still have some weight to lose from last year. Was @ 205 lbs and currently @ 167 lbs. Hoping to get down to around 155-160lbs w/ 10-12% bodyfat.

If your belly is pushing against the wheel in your ST when you are sitting in the driver's seat and you can't move the seat back........you might want too go on a diet! That's the best steering wheel test I know of.:lol:

Or you can tell everyone you have the furniture disease.

That is where your chest falls in your drawers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody know of any "effective" fat burners? Ive tried a few different kinds, and Hydroxycut Hardcore was the best. Any experiences w/ that or others?