Body Roll

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Niekum

Reaction score
I replaced the shocks with the Monroe Reflex. I replaced the sway bar with the EE sway bar. I'm still not happy with the way the ST rocks back and forth at low speed cornering. Is this a tire issue or suspension problem? I still have the Goodyear Wranglers on, looking to replace soon.

Tires would be the next thing to go. Also, if you're not happy after that, then you can lower to decrease the body roll even more.

Greg, IF your 2wd, you can beef up the Front sway bar with a 4wd one, OR the addco bar than tom brags about...

And I would TRASH the goodyears... I have to run mine at 36psi to be somewhat happy...

Todd Z

The main problem is neither the tires, nor the suspension, it's the fact that the vehicle is a truck, and by design, will roll. It's too high off the ground, the track width is too narrow and the tread width is too small. Fix all three, then you've got a shot at fixing body roll.

dissappointed with the body roll on the ST? It's a top heavy truck what did you expect, the handling of a BMW?

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg, maybe your tires are too soft? Should be 32/35 psi F/R. I have the same setup as you do on my 04 2WD and I don't notice any side to side rolling anymore. I'm at stock height with OEM 16s though.

I know this is a top heavy truck with a narrow wheel base, but I know not every top heavy vehicle sways like the ST does. My wife has a Nission Xterra and it doesn't roll like the ST. I know what some of you will say get a different truck, but I like the ST. I will try the right tire psi thank you FlipTrac.

Also, I have learned that too hard a tire can also cause sway problems by throwing all the work into the suspension. I went from TOYO Open Country's (35 max psi) to Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza'a (44 max psi). What I feel is that a higher load bearing tire (hence the 44 max psi) is best suited for the '01-'05 ST, especially '01 & '02. I put the EE anti-sway bar on the rear w/ Roadmaster Active Suspension & KYB Monomax shocks, and have the 4x4 stabilizer/sway bar on our 4x2 which helps a bunch. I feel that if you don't already have a 4x4 ST, put a 4x4 ST sway bar on the front like Todd Z said; he drove mine in Louisville and noticed the difference. If you don't want to do to all that work, just replace the shocks you just put on with Edelbrock IAD Performers in the front & KYB Monomax in the rear, and also add the Roadmaster Active Suspension. FYI - I am putting on the 4x4 torsion bars as well. I hope that wasn't too confusing. :D

Well my Edelbrocks started to make odd clicks and dampening sucks when the road is ripply, so I'll be trying me some Bilsteins all around real soon. I'll let you know what they're like.

360 PSI nitrogen charge, they better not fade.

I'm interested in the Addco Bar that is talked about on earlier posts. Since my '03 ST is a 4x2 do I just ask for that year. PLus I was also wondering if replacing the front sway bar bushings to the polyurethane bushings would this help.

front bushings should already be poly. They just don't have proper grease channels to make them greaseable without removing them.

Trust me, getting grease into those bushings and ball joints makes a huge difference.

Latest posts