Boost

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Free!!!.....drive like you have an egg between your foot and the pedals. Can gain you 3 - 5 mpg depending on how agressive you drive now. If you already drive the way I mentioned, then the Xcal might be the most effective. I'm trying that myself.

$300 will buy you about 100+ gallons of gasoline (depending upon the cost of gas in your area) If you purchase anything that truely improves your MPG it will likely only be 1-2 MPG. Unless you put a lot of mileage on your vehicle, it would take you a very long time to recoop your $300 expenditure.

The X-Caliber tuner can provide a slight increase in mileage, and a HP boost as well, but if you want to use the HP, you will still pay for the extra gas that those extra HP use.

The best way to save gas is to use the free things like keeping your tires inflated. Don't use the truck for short trips of less then 5 miles. Accellerate slowly, and stop gradually by anticipating the traffic lights. Keep the engine tuned and well maintained. And avoid hauling a lot of extra weight around.

You might get a slight benefit from changing to a fully synthetic engine oil, transmission fluid and rear axle gear oil.

Smaller lighter vehicles are more fuel efficient, and the Sport Trac like other EUV's are not designed for high gas mileage.

...Rich

Hey Bret,The best advice is what they say on driving practices.There are a few small cheaper things you can do as well. Change to a good synthetic oil and gear lube. I use amsoil myself and saw a 1 to 3 mpg increase in both our vehicles. Buy a good washable air filter. Last trip to Amarillo I got 24 mpg. These things will pay for themselves quicker than alot of things. I have read that using pure acetone at 1 or 2 ounces per ten gallons of gas can increase up to 20 percent,But I am not sure I want to try that yet. I hope that these things help. Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my experience with driving styles. I dont see a difference between driving 65mph and my normal 80mph. I went 2 full tanks figured I would not accelerate hard, keep the RPM's at 2500 or below and see how much difference it would make on my mpg.... I can honestly say there wasnt a difference. I still averaged 300-320 miles per tank of gas.. which is about 3 to 5 days for me. Thats my experience though... so I'm back to laughing at ricers that try to race me. I had a VW Beetle whoop my ass.. in my defense it was a turbo :( I knew I was going down soon as I heard that damn blow off valve.. surprised me never seen a turbo in a beetle