Bra or Bug Shield?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melody Owens

Reaction score
What is more practical? This is my first time owning a vehicle worthy of keeping it looking nice, and I want to do just that! I live in South FL where rain, road debris (ie: rocks), and extremely large, nasty bugs are rampant. I just bought an 05 ST yesterday (I'm in love already, lol) and want to keep this truck looking good! What would be best? Thanks in advance!!

Melody, Check on Heather in KC's posts regarding the protective 3M film for the front areas. Better than a bra or bugshield. The bra tends to dull the paint in the long run due to vibration plus the accumulated dust underneath. I have a bug shield but haven't installed it yet, so I can't tell if it would be effective. By the way, WELCOME to the site since you joined 3 days ago.

Why not do both? :)

[Broken External Image]:

I started out with the bug shield to protect the hood from all of the junk that the trucks would kick up during my commute. I added the bra later to proctect the rest of the front. I have had no problems with paint fade or scratches anywhere on the front. Just make sure you clean and wax regularly under it.

Chris

Howdy Melody !!

Welcome to the site ....lots of great info & lots of great people here. Look in the Project section ... lots of great things you can do to your Trac there. Check out some members' libraries to see what some have done. What color did you get ??? Post some photos soon.

Oh yeah, about the bug guard ...it only protects the edge of the hood from rocks & such ....trufuly I got mine more for the look.

[Broken External Image]:

Welcome,,enjoy the site. A bra tends to damage the paint underneath.

Can cause scratches and paint can fade diferently from the rest.

If you live in Florida where it rains a lot I would also agree with the others and not recommend a bra. The area will stay wet under the bra and then will bake in the hot sun. It can also fade differently.

George

WOW...thanks everyone!! Also, thanks kenstewart2005 for that pic! I plan on getting the grill/brush guard too, also with KC lights (I didnt get fog lights). I got the Dark Stone color...the closest color to the plastic. :) How do I post pics? Thanks again! I will definately look into the clear shield! :)

*Melody*

Dark Stone ....good choce....great color ....gonna look great w/ brush-guard !! You can put some photo in your library by clicking on folder next to you name & uploading them. To post to a thread just click on icon w/ folder below message box...chose photo from library.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recommend going on ebay for the brush guard. Mine's a three-piece which makes it easy when I'm messing with the headlights (recently swapped corners for clear corners). You can easily pay $500+ others, but I got mine for $279 shipped. There is a guy that sells a black one-piece for $149. Chrome ones are also available for just a little more.

Here is a pic of my 3M hood guard Regal One was telling you about. Most window tinting places will install them. for around $100-199. You can't even see it in the pic, right? Thats what I like best about it. :D. -Heather

[Broken External Image]:

I am partial to the bug shield.......i love it.......and looks good too........my opinion.........good luck with your decision.[Broken External Image]:

WOW Thanks for that pic Heather!! (great looking truck by the way!) You can't see it at all!! I am getting my windows tinted (limo) in a couple weeks, and will have that done at the same time, but will also get a bug shield as well (never hurts). :) Now, next question...does the 3M guard need to be replaced at all, if so, how often? Does it turn colors after lots of exposure to the sun?

Melody

The newer 3M material, which I have, should last around 8 years. It is guaranteed not to yellow, bubble, crack if installed by a trained installer. I have had my ST right at a year, and it looks just like it did the day I bought my it. Thanks for the compliment! You have a nice looking ST as well! :D -Heather

FYI, I have pics in my library of my exhaust .

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not even know they still made bras for cars. No offense to people who have them, but they are one of the ugliest mods that I have ever seen on a car or truck. Go with the film and a bug shield.

Latest posts