Brake controllers

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Helstad

Reaction score
I bought a 20 ft. trailer (18' + 2'dovetail) to haul my Nash around to car shows. The trailer has brakes on both axles. Now I need to put a brake controller in my 08 LTD. Any ideas as to good, better, or best controllers? I am assuming that it is pre wired as I have the factory class III/IV hitch. Any info is appreciated.

Rod

Not sure about the prewiring, but the Prodigy controller is one of the best on the market, and is what I have. I have a Gen 1, and had it wired up by the RV dealer, as Gen 1's were not prewired.

Yes, the Prodigy brake controller is the best on the market....a little more expensive than other units but it is a good unit. I have the Draw-Tite Activator II Brake Controller in my 07 V8. If you have the class III/IV hitch then it is a very simple installation. Your truck should have come with the Brake Controller pig tail adapter (mine was in the glove box) that plugs into a wiring harness under the dash on the left side. The adapter wires directly to the brake controller (4 wires) and you are ready to go. I have my installation instructions posted in my Library if you would like to check it out. All brake controllers wire up the same... Let me know if you have any questions.

PS: The reason I went with the Activator II is because it can be mounted in any position, some controllers have to be mounted in the horizontal position which would not work for me. Mine is mounted on the left side of the center console just below the dash so my passengers don't even see it. I tow a 24ft enclosed trailer to haul motorcycles from time to time.

I have a Prodigy brake controller in my gen 1 Trac. It was the top end one, I justified the cost by saying if I totaled the Trac, trailer, and another car it would be more than the 400.00 I paid for it. It had the connector for gen 2 Tracs to plug and play if it can with a tow package and V8. I wired mine myself if about an hour and a half. I went to a trailer supply store and bought 25 feet of sheathed wiring made for a trailer brake controller. Mine is very easy to use and adjust for each of the different trailers that I tow. I simply slide a lever over and it adjusts its self for the trailers brake condition. It is intelligent and applies more or less braking force depending on how "urgently" I apply the brakes.

I have this on my '07. It's based on the Activator II..but it has a hand held controller that you can attach. The brain stays tucked away under the dashboard, and you just plug the controller in when you need to use it. EASY to wire with the stock harness you already have...there isn't another harness, the stock adapter wire directly into this.