Brake Dust

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H K

Reaction score
Question for my ST friends.

Several years back I saw a device for some high end cars that fit behind the wheel to prevent brake dust from collecting on the rim.

Are these "brake dust shields" advisable and does anyone know of a manufacturer that produces them for the ST?

They are called 'Kleen Wheels" and are available lots of places. I bought mine online - don't remember where, maybe amazon. They work VERY well and are well worth the reasonable cost. I had a problem with my front wheels only and just got one pair and have not regretted it. There is a project on this site that will give you part numbers and install process. Good Luck :supercool:

These sound great but have two concerns: 1) will the rotors have enough ventilation and 2) will the shields get damaged when a tech rotates and balances your wheels as it appears they are wedged between the hub and the wheel?

My dad had a set on a BMW he used to own. Beemers are known for having horrendous amounts of brake dust. They have little vents punched in them all around. Ventilation is probably no different than having a plain steel wheel and hubcap. They just pop out to balance the wheel. I think we got them at J.C. Whitney. Normally I would say to just wash your vehicle more often, in dad's case his BMW had the lace aluminum wheels that were truly a PITA to clean. Another option is ceramic brake pads that make a lot less dust.

Opps.. sorry I just now saw this post..

I would HIGHLY recommend NOT to use these. They can cause the rotors to overheat and warp. Brakes need air flow and this stops the designed flow for cooling

I would suggest get a good brake cleaning solvent and washing your wheels with it when you go thru a car wash.

soft brush, wash bucket and rinse

I would HIGHLY recommend NOT to use these. They can cause the rotors to overheat and warp.

Not true, unless you are being very agressive with your braking. Most cars sold in Europe still use steel wheels with no problems. I've used these on several vehicles with excellent results.

Les, I am glad you have had good results with the ones you have used. I work at a BMW dealership and we have had to replace many many warped rotors because of these. Maybe they were being agressive in their driving habits. I just know from what I have experenced, I wouldn't advise using them. Glad your experence has been good.

Latest posts