Brake pedal problems

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven W

Reaction score
Recently I have noticed that when I apply the brakes it makes a crunching sound (hard to describe really). The sound comes from just behind the firewall where the brake arm goes through. I took it to a Ford service center and the guy was unsure but said it could be the power assist was going bad and thought it was usually $400 to fix. And of course I am out of warranty. Has anyone else experienced this noise.

Thanks

The only time I hear a "crunching sound" is when my ABS engages. But if there's a sound at the firewall, it might be the brake booster. It's pretty much the other side of the firewall from the instrument panel.

No Im definitely not talking about the ABS, I know what that sounds like. Brake booster is what the ford guy was talking about. But has anyone heard of it being $400 to fix it.

Apply the brakes on and off while in park. If there is no sound then I believe it is not the brake booster. If it only happens when the brakes are applied while the vehicle is in motion, then I would suspect that the problem is in the caliper area such as the pads. Detecting the direction of sound can be tricky. Check the rotors and pads.

Today is your lucky day (or unlucky depending on how you look at it). I posted last week with regard to a hard start issue that the dealer couldn't duplicate but I also mentioned that I had a loud squeaking sound coming from my brake pedal whenever I depressed the pedal. They replaced my master cylinder under my ESP and it has resolved the issue. I was told something similiar to what you were told as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts