Brake Upgrades

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Lewis

Reaction score
I have an 03 ST 4wd that I tow a 3200 lb boat with. Last year, coming down a mountain in western VA, I experienced brake fade for the first time. The Pucker factor was HIGH!! I never had a problem with this prior to this and have not since. However, I am going on the same trip and before I go I plan on adding a CAT back exhaust, a cold air intake, upgrading the brakes and flashing the computer with an x-cal2 from Wayne F. I have read about the available upgrades for the brakes and I think I will go with the SP performance slotted rotors and Hawk Pads. My question is has anyone else used these rotors and pads and if so what did you think of them? Also, I priced new rotors for front and back but I am thinking upgrading the rear set is somewhat of a waste of money due to the fact that the majority of the braking power comes from the front. I would prefer not to waste money on an upgrade where I would not see a benefit. Any thoughts? THANKS!

Back brakes do serve a purpose and will make a difference.

Does the trailer have brakes? 3200 LBS is alot of weight to tow without brakes. If it does have brakes, you need to address those first.

Tom

I just put Power Slot Rotors on with their recommended Hawk pads. I'm still evaluating but I noticed that they do bite harder than stock with once you add some pedal effort.

Caymen;

The trailer does not have have brakes (sounds messed up but true) In VA trailers of this weight class and single axle were not required to have brakes.(They are now) Thats the next upgrade on the trailer list though. My point about the back brakes is not that they dont serve a purpose but wether upgrading the rotors on the rear would be money well spent. My front brakes are in need of replacement and the rear looks as good as new. I am thinking of only replacing the front rotors and new Hawk pads all the way around. What do you think??

I would upgrade the rears as well..... I have an 03 also..

Lets say you hit the brakes hard, Fronts bite, Trailer has no brakes, And pushes the rear right around on you. Instant jacknife.... Do the rears too....

Also If looking to compliment your air intake and x cal from wayne later on Consider a modified throttle body...

Todd Z

AV8TORO9,

Hmmm, a few years ago, I did a search on Towing and found a site that listed all state laws regarding trailer weight and the requirement fo trailer brakes.

Some states required trailer brakes on anything over 2000 lbs, others were more liberal and allowed you to go to 3000-3500 lbs before you needed trailer brakes. Only on state, MA, did not require trailer brakes on any trailer regardless of the weight ????

Anyway, I wanted to convey an accident that happened here in central Texas a few years ago.

An older couple, in their 60's were towing a small utility trailer filled with gravel. Plice estimated the weight at about 3500 lbs.

The trailer was being towed by a full sized 5 year old Chevy Pickup. While going down a slight incline (this area of Texas is very flat) towards an intersection with a traffic light the trailer (without brakes) overpowered the trucks brakes and pushed them into the middle of the intersection where they were struck broadside by a bigh 18-wheeler. The couple died instantly.

I did not tell you that story to scare you, only to let you know how dangerous it is to operate a trailer of that size/weight without trailer brakes.

Yes, you can upgrade the brakes with better rotors and better brake pads, but ultimately, It still would not be enough to compensate for a 3200 lbs trailer. That would require larger rotors (and wheelsa) and bigger, heavy-duty calipers to compensate for the 3200 lbs trailer.

Personally, I would look at adding/convert the trailer to electric brakes. That would be safer in the end.

...Rich

If it is a boat trailer, you might be better off going with surge brakes.

Do some boat trailers come with electric brakes?

Tom

Caymen,

Sorry, I didn't notice that it was a boat trailer. Since I have never owned a boat & boat trailer, I don't know what kind of brakes would be used on a boat trailer. But if it was my boat trailer, it would have brakes!

...Rich