BRAKES

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the pulsating in the brake pedal or steering wheel ???

IF in the pedal, sounds like your rear drums or rotors ( Don't know what year your ST is ) are out of round/warped..

Todd Z

Usually pulsing is the sign of a warped rotor or drum. If you have drum brakes on the rear, as I think all before '03 did, press on the parking brake pedal while rolling down the street at 30mph or so and see if the pulsing is there. If it is, it's the rear drums. If not, it's the front rotors.

If you have disk brakes all around, the parking brake is different and you won't be able to tell that way. You'll have to judge based on if it's in the steering wheel or brake pedal you feel it. Steering wheel and pedal = front rotors. Pedal only = rear rotors. Usually.

You will have to remove the rotors and have them turned at a shop that does brakes, or an auto parts store with a brake lathe. Or just replace them. Sometimes it's just as cheap to buy new ones.

When my window wipers are on and actually moving i get a pulsating feeling in my brakes too. But it's as brief as the window wipers coming across the windshield.

When my window wipers are on and actually moving i get a pulsating feeling in my brakes too. But it's as brief as the window wipers coming across the windshield.