Breather intake bypass project

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure about a plug for a hole. maybe a tappered rubber plug can be found in a hardware or science store. Like the ones used on lab beakers....

They make adjustable expandable ones for swimming pools that would be perfect. But they do not make them that small.:( I am going to poorman's auto monday night. I think I may show them what I need. Maybe they could help. The local guys here are heavy into mods.

Last edited by a moderator:
What hole are you talking about plugging?? The only hole would be where the hose went into the intake tube, and that's a nipple. If it is a different hole, what was there before?? How big is the hole. I have plugged a lot of vacuum line with a simple wooden or plastic golf tee, they work great and are dirt cheap.

...Rich

It is a nipple. But it is very flexible. I would need a much larger cap than 5/8". Like the project says I need a plug. I believe a plug would be a better choice also. This would allow me to put a hose clamp or a zip tie around it. This would be a better seal.

Guessing the hole is 5/8"

While your at pepboys why not just buy an intake tube also? its only $20+ and looks so much better. I also did this project acouple days ago and it did help alittle with throttle response. Maybe its in my head tho. I did it cause I didnt like the way the MAC intake tube and the breather tube fit together, It wasnt very tight and looked sloppy. I got a white/chrome filter to match my air filter.

A dab of silicone on a conventional, large size vacuum cap would work just fine.

If you want to cap it with a bolt, I would puts a subby length of hose onto the nipple with a dab of silicone and plug the hose with a bolt with a dab more silicone. Unfortunately, they don't make golf tees quite that large. :p:p

...Rich

Ions, I have ordered a AEM filter with with the 3" opening. Then I am also going to do the intake performance adapter project. Basically I am keeping the stock tube and installing the non oil spray filter. I was thinking the other day, Heck I do not want to oil a filter and do the special cleaning. I have heard good things about this filter. I have heard some people messing up the high dollars sensors down the line if they do not oil correctly.

Besides I have farming in my blood. My grandpa loved to do things the hard way and to use what is laying around the shed to fix things. Toilet flanges, golf tees, and dowel rods are just down my alley:lol::lol::lol:

Yea so have I, My next filter is gonna be an oil-free one. The chome tube is more looks than anything so if your not worried about the *bling* effect it is worthless :D

I found both the Spectra breather filter and the specified heater hose connector at AutoZone, but I too cannot find the plug for the OEM intake tube breather connection.

Anyone in CA better keep all of you OEM parts for when you do a smog check your going to have to put it back to original.

'Expand-Tite' 3/4"-7/8" plug

Has the number 02606 in the upper-left corner...

and DORMAN571-003 up the right side...

of the package.

I did that project today. Found it at Advance. It's just a rubber plug with a bolt through it. You jam it where you want it to live and then tighten the bolt up a bit.

You can use a 5/8 x5/8 nipple ( also sold at pepboys right next to the adapter your purchasing for the mod) and then cap the other end with the plug that is in the project....

OR get a threaded sprinkler plug, and clamp that....

Todd Z

I ended up doing the 5/8" x 5/8" nipple and cap ($6.00) that Todd mentioned. I also installed the stainless steel screen filter. I believe it is new. They didn't have the yellow.

Latest posts