Broken Valve Spring

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Homar

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 wheel drive
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
I own a 2004 Sport Trac. Recently, with the engine at idle and the trans. in the Park position, just before I was about to turn the vehicle off, the engine started to run rough and I heard an intermittant tapping from the upper front of the engine. Removal of the valve cover revealed a broken valve spring. I was wondering if any other members had experienced a similar problem with their V-6 4.0 liter engine? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Andrew.

It seems like I can recall only 1 other repoted incident. More than likely it's 1 defect out of who knows how many thousand of valve springs that were made. Unfortunately, it happens......

Modern valve springs are about as good as they get. Its very rare to break a valve spring unless you are racing and running at maximum rpm for extended periods of time. Almost impossible to do on a street vehicle driven at reasonable speeds, but it does happen.

...Rich

Just like all man made items, some will break. Valve spring breaking is very rare but will happen to somebody, sometime. Hope there was no piston damage. Replace spring and if it runs OK, then it's OK.

I have broken Valve springs from over revving the engine, detonation, or floating the valves.

As others have said, they can just be a defective part and let go....

Todd Z

Mountaintrac,

If it came throught the valvecover, it sounds more like you broke a valve shpring keeper..

...Rich

Latest posts