Built a Mancave for myself

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George C

Reaction score
I had a full, unfinished basement and in a future post you will see why I had to move my office to the basement. Todd and I decided to go all out and build a "man cave". It was just us 2 from start to completion with no definite plans layed out. We designed it as we went along. Working a few hours a night and most weekends it took us 4 months to complete. There was a low ceiling height which made things more difficult but everything came out great.

It has all the electronics including 52" LCD 1080P Samsung TV, 1200w 7.1 surround sound, blu-ray player, buttkickers under both sides of the couch, hava multimedia streamer, and hdmi and gigabit network cables from the computer to tv. All wires were run in the walls and ceiling so nothing is exposed. There is even a phone and 16" hdtv in the bathroom! Check out the link below to see the pictures on Shutterfly.

Let me know what you think.

George

WHAT????????????

I'll venture to say you have no children???

Why ask what we think??? Do you expect any answers that don't contain drool???

I have yet to do so in my lifetime, but if I may state just one time...OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

:cool::banana::cool::banana::cool::banana:

Looks, FANTASTIC!!!:cool:

My mancave has been trashed up by my 16 year old who is a slob!:angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!! Great job George and Todd. You guys should really be proud of yourselves.

I hate to admit it, but even the two Yankees pillows don't look so bad. :cool:

Thanks guys...

It was really a fun project, Glad I could help out, enjoyed the time spent and would gladly do it again !!!!!!

Thanks George for asking for my input !!!!

I think i did Quit 4 times and George fired me 5 times... Of course it had to be completed then i could pack my tools and leave !!! :lol::lol::lol:

TJR,

Look closely again at the poles, We Wrapped them with little strips of wood and escutcheons at the top, This way there is no huge box in the room....

Todd Z

ToddZ,

Oh, I didn't notice. I'll look again.

I guess since they were still thin and round they didn't look finished in the thumb nails. BTW, there is no need to have "huge boxes" in the room for the poles that are boxed in. Each side of the finish boards can be secured to the pole with self-tapping screws that are countersunk and then covered. In that way the total width is just over 1" thicker than the pole itself...not too bad. Mine were purposefully a little wider than that because I didn't want skinny posts. ;)

I laid out our basement so there was only one pole NOT integrated into a partition wall, and even that one (shown above) isn't out in the middle of the floor or in a crucial line of sight.

Did you ever consider having the door to the unfinished basement on the left side of the wall (leftmost of where it is now)? Did you guys consider walling in the home office? I ask these questions because I am wondering if a partition wall down the center of the basement, having the office on one side, and the home theater on the other might have not changed things much (other than the budget)...ha.

Still, it's a great job you guys did. Really nice.

TJR

Very nice! I love the paint color on the walls and the ceiling you picked!

I finished my basement this last winter. I wanted to just plate my pole with brass and put some colored spot lights around it, but my wife wouldn't let me do it. It wasn't for her-- it was for the neighbor lady when she comes over... :lol::lol::lol:

I finished my basement this last winter. I wanted to just plate my pole with brass and put some colored spot lights around it, but my wife wouldn't let me do it. It wasn't for her-- it was for the neighbor lady when she comes over...

:lol::lol::lol::banana:

That is SWEET!!! (insert drool smilly) I wish I didn't have a crawl space, I'd love to have a man cave! I don't have kids- so I guess I could just turn my whole house into one?

Gavin,

No change to structure so no need for town inspections, But it all was built to all local codes...

Your allowed to do any internal modifications ans long as it doesn't change the structure on the outside or bearing walls...

And the bathroom does not have a floor trap, so we bypassed the tax increase on that !!

IT is great to work in inspections for the Townships !! :cool::cool:

Todd Z

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments!

budfromballground - we joked about having a gold post and lights and almost did it but at the last minute decided against it.

TJR- your basement looks great also. We used "pole wrap" on the supports and then stained them. I wanted to keep them as small as possible and this was the reason for no boxes. Not sure what you mean about the location of the door but I did not want to separate the room with a wall. If I did this I wouldn't be able to watch the tv! :)

Todd was the inspector and everything passed his approval. He was a big help but like he said he was fired a few times.

George

Looks great, clean work, very proffesional. I especially like the photo where you have the ST website logo on the PC(very astute). Hey where's the fridge?:D

Latest posts