Burned out lights?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisP Riley

Reaction score
I was on the way home tonight from work and noticed that on the cruise control buttons that the left ones are not on. The right ones were on. The ones with the on and off were not lit but the accel and coast ones were. What can I do to check or fix this? Just seemed odd to me.....Any help would be appreciated. :cool:

On our Ranger we had, the same thing happened and Ford had to replace the whole switch because the light is part of the switch. I was glad that it happened under warranty for us.

Have to replace the whole switch.....

Todd Z

I noticed that the cruise lights are out in my steering wheel as well. I had this listed on my warranty action list to address prior to hitting the 3 year / 36000 mile mark.

I think this is a cronic problem.

Anyone else have this issue?

On another note, the dam lights came back on the other night and are still on. Must be some kind of short. Hope they will go dark again so that I can pursue the repair under warranty.

It's common.

Either the light is burned out, or the bulb is loose, or the switch wiring connector plug has become unplugged.

I removed the cc pod cover and used a test led to figure out which end of the circuit board was + and -, then removed the cc switch boards, soldered green leds in instead of the bulb, disconnected my battery, removed the airbag cover, plugged everything back together, and have nice rich green light now.

I have the same exact thing on my ST. I have read previous posts saying that the steering wheel needs to be taken apart to get to it. I haven't thought about doing that yet.

Tommy

You can pry off the cc switch pod cover, it's just rubber. the circuit board will come out with it. You might be able to plug it back in without taking off the air bag cover, but you may need to take it off.

To do that, disconnect your battery, then wait for 15 minutes. I usually turn on my headlights, and turn the ignition key at that point to make sure any charge is gone.

Wear non-static creating clothing (no fleece) and discharge your own static by touching the metal part of the door frame, or keep a bare ankle on the metal bottom edge of the door.

Remove the 2 bolts, one on either side of the steering wheel. There are 2 small plastic circles covering the bolts, that you need to pop out.

Pull the airbag cover off gently, and let it rest on the bottom of the steering wheel. Don't let it hang by the wire, but you do not need to unplug it.

Check the CC Switch connector plugs to make sure they are seated.

Re-installation of the CC pods mean putting the circuit board into the rubber cover, then pressing the whole assembly in place into the base and connector plug.

Latest posts