Burning smell in 07 w/V8

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike B 2

Reaction score
I have an 07 limited w/ V8. If i open up the throttle and hit it hard for a length of time, say maybe on the freeway onramp starting at 40mph running it up to 100mph (i have a governor :) and then get off freeway and stop or just park it, i have a burning smell going on. you can smell it inside and outside of the vehicle. It did this since it was new, and i always thought it would be maybe a new exhaust or something like that, but i have 8000 miles on it now and it still does it. The only mod I have is Todd's throttle body. The burn does not smell like oil, i was wondering though if it could be tranny. Once in a while when i hit the gas from a dead stop i feel the tranny engage (slightly) like it was out of gear and then thumping into gear - if that makes any sense to anyone

anybody else have anything related at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
The 07 V8 Tranny is troublesome. I've had the same "bumping" at full stop.

I've never had a burning smell other than the New Car break-in.

cool thanks for feedback. ill still monitor the tranny for bumping, which was a better description of my tranny problem

mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no speed limiter. But I have noticed my tires have a slight vibration from 96 to 118. :)

The burning could be mandrel oil from the exhaust, depending on how hot it has gotten in the past. If you usually make short trips at slow speeds, it's not that uncommon.

Latest posts