Buy American

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomT

Reaction score
Of course that includes Acura, BMW, Honda, Hyundai, Infiniti, Mercedes-Benz, Mitsubishi, Nissan, and Toyota. Many of these foreign companies are doing more for our economy then our own domestic manufactures. Great article worth reading.

Interesting Tom, thx for the link.

The argument is going to start here:

The old-school definition relies on where the ultimate profit goes when you buy a car. The modern definition, based on the reality of a global economy, considers the impact of your purchase on local economies.

I have to disagree with something... My wife's focus was assembled in Mexico, contrary to what the article says...

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't take credit for it, because I didn't realize this until after the sale, but I was glad to see that the Honda Pilot we just bought for my wife was made in the USA.

I like that the article describes "Old School" and "New School", and how "Old School" may actually be misplaced and misguided.

That Ford you buy may hurt Americans more than if you bought an Acura.

TJR

I say, GO HYUNDAI!!! Even if I own an Elantra.:wub:

Hyundai Sonata – Montgomery, Alabama

Hyundai Santa Fe – Montgomery, Alabama

Hyundai invested one billion dollars in its new state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Alabama. Today, the redesigned 2006 Hyundai Sonata is assembled there, but later in the year, the Korean automaker will add a new, larger, seven-passenger Santa Fe SUV to the plant. The 2006 Hyundai Sonata is a handsome, spacious, value-laden family sedan that we would recommend to anyone wanting a great deal on a nice set of wheels.

Fer,

A friends 2006 Toyota Corolla was made in Japan, though the article says USA.

No matter how you slice it, you are still better off buying Ford or GM.

Tom

>> No matter how you slice it, you are still better off buying Ford or GM.

That article says your wrong, Caymen. That's OLD SCHOOL thinking. There are exceptions to that rule. Some foreign models if purchased provide more money back to our local economy than some of the domestics. I believe that, the article says that, I have no reason to dismiss it as it makes sense.

TJR

If they built plants here, and are paying Americans to do the job, it's only reasonable that money stays (not all I agree) here.

I also agree that Ford & GM have to react faster to the changing market, I like their product, but I would not hesitate for a moment to evaluate foreing brand vehicles if they satisfy my needs.

If they built plants here, and are paying Americans to do the job, it's only reasonable that money stays (not all I agree) here.

That is exactly my point. Sure, you can buy something assembled here, but more Import brands import cars here then the domestic brands do. Toyota and Honda produce cars built in Canada. Ford gets chastized for it, but Toyota doesn't? Ford and GM does not build car in Japan to sell in the US.

Sorry, I think it is a load if crap.

Tom

Exactly Fer. Buying a GM or Ford car built in Canada or Mexico or an import built here in the US, well, you better off buying the import built in the US if your intent is to put the most amount of money you can in American pockets.

I might say differently if GM and Ford "stocks" were a strong buy, but they are not. For, if they were, then the profits associated with the domestic vehicle purchased regardless where it was made, affect the stock price positively, and American investors likewise. But, with both stocks in the tank and both companies unprofitable after several years (decades?), the only thing one can do is buy the car that was made in our country and help out those employed laborers...the rest is a sinking ship.

TJR

"KIA is building plants...FORD is closing plants....What's

the rational behind that? I guess KIA, like the rest of the imports,

has a better, more reliable product. "

You are kidding right? F and GM screwed up when they didn't spend enough for lobbyist. Not too mention the horrible management record acheived in the last 10 years.

The value of the American dollar. The non vested work agreements in import plants. Have all played in the hands of the Asian makers. The Japanese quality is just a myth for the most part. Ford set its self back at least 10 years with the whole Firestone debacle. It quickly became a PR nightmare that was handled miserably. The market is very ripe for the Asians.