Buying a new (to me) ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarHorse1961

Supporting Member
4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
My 2004 ST Premium was stolen back in September. It was recovered 2 weeks later, but the insurance wrote it off as a total loss. So, naturally, I'm looking to replace it.

The truck was fantastic, loaded with all the options. The only problem was that it lacked power.

So, I found a 2007 ST Limited, 4.6L, 4WD, loaded. It's a little pricey, but I think the fact that it has only 65K miles has something to do with that.

I took her for a test drive today. She rides great! The only concern I have is that the transmission seemed to shift weird. Not bad, just weird. It seemed to slip between 1st and 2nd, and again between 2nd and 3rd, though not as bad.

Is this normal?

I know one of the issues with the 4.0L ST's is the plastic thermostat housing. Is there anything I should look out for with the 4.6L? Or anything in the 2nd Gen's in general?

Thanks for all your help.

Oh, and I have some parts for the 2004 that I'll be posting online within the next month or so. Inner and outer tie rod ends, lower ball joints, and other items. So keep an eye on the swap/sell board.

the ST and other newer models have slippy trans by design but there is a tip posted to stiffen the shifts. I am not sure it applies to your year but its pretty easy to do with the pan off.

Several TSB's regarding the 6R60 tranny shifting issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts