C.E.L CODES WOES!!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MARVIN McINTYRE 2

Reaction score
My CEL came on. I went to get it read at A.Z, gave symptoms of EGR related probs, codes P0171 &P0172, then changed L bow hose, went away, went for inspection and it flashed back up, gave codes of 02 sensor, replaced with the famous DPFE, wenrt back for re-inspect, it gave no code but status was undteremined (no fail/no pass), inspection rep said to drive it about 60-80 miles to reset the compu, came back, it showed back up! Went this morning to Ford, they said that it was VACUUM LEAK UNDER THE INTAKE MANIFOLD! And that it would cost me $470.00 (including the Diag) I want to SCREAM but it won't help. Does anyone have an idea or has this happened to anyone here? I've read so many posts about the L bows,and the DPFE, but that stuff obviously not the culprit. Should I get someone else to look at it that may not cost so much to fix, if that is the problem. I am closer to paying it off than I am to being tired of the fixes, so I just want to know if this sounds like it is possible or are they being accurate in this case? :huh::unsure::angry::eek::(

I have heard earlier 01's had problems with cracked intakes and gaskets, Could be it..

Have you done a propane leak test or any other spray test??

Todd Z

2 things.

1) Carb cleaner test. With the truck running spray carb cleaner around the intake manifold, hoses and stuff, Not the air filter, and listen if the engine rpm drops , studders, or revs up.

That would indicate a leak...

2) Propane.. Take a propane torch, Start the truck, Open the propane gas, BUT DO NOT LIGHT !!!! DO NOT LIGHT... wave the torch around the intake and hoses, as above if you here something, you found the leak...

Todd Z