Camber/Caster Adjust

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George T

Reaction score
Hi,

I took my 2004 4x4 to the dealer for a 4 wheel alignment. They charged me 80 bucks for it. But then they said that there was a suspension concern and they adjusted the camber/caster for 90. Anyone what this is or if anyone else had this done for the same price?

Ohh by the way... what do you guys think of the Monroe Reflex shocks for the front?

Thanks, George T.

Monroe Reflexes are just like the Rancho RSX's. Alittle on the stiff side. I have RSX's all round and the ride is still comfortable. If you don't do alot of off-roading, than you could get away with a softer shock.;)

Not sure what the alignment place was stating. Seems alittle high priced to me. Of course, it's been a while since I've had any alignment done.;)

Thanks, what would be a softer shock?

Yeah,i was sursprised about that...cost me 175 total (alignment and adjust)

George T.

Most likly they charge you for installing camber bolts and washers. The factory doesnt install them.

Monroe sensatrac is a good shock with a softer ride than reflex.

Kind of weird here. They charged you for a 4 wheel alignment? Curious, how does one align the rear wheels of a straight axle? And yes, 80... is a bit high. Shouldn't the price for caster/camber adjust be included in the work of the alignment? I would have thought so... So I'm curious why they charged you twice... Less prices are just going nuts...

I'm running with the RSX17000 and love them. This is my first upgrade from the OEM's so. I couldn't give ya any better than this or that details, but I like them a lot.

Fast Eddie is correct. The sensatrac is a "softer" riding shock.

BeerDelivery has a point. Unless they did a "tracking" adjustment on it also. That can add to the price, but usually isn't needed unless the vehicle has been in a slide with a sudden stop of the rear tires. (like the hit a curb);)

Yeah...i told them align front wheels...on the reciept it says 4wheel alignment:wacko:

Stonemiser, yeah my ST had front end collision so i guess that explains it.

Thanks, George T.

Did you supply them with new camber bolts, or did they contact you first to make sure its OK to order and install them? If you supplied, then the cost is over priced. If they supplied, cost sounds about right.

I can understand where you got the info for the four wheel alignment now. Most places have that as the only meaning instead of having both, why not save space and have one.

Wonder what the "suspension concern" was? They tell you or give you heads up of something that might need replaced down the road?

They supplied it.

No they told me and i guess they fixed it with the adjustment

They put Suspension Concern and underneath:

Camber/Caster Adjust

Adjust Camber Caser Both Frt

George T.

My 2WD 04 has Monroe Reflexes all around, for the last ~40K miles. They got rid of wobbling (that the OEM shocks afforded) in all but extreme conditions but as stonemiser mentioned above they are on the stiff side. Not severely so but the Trac is definitely rigid. They serve me well but when the time comes to replace them, I may go with the softer Monroe Sensatracs and hopefully those will hit the sweet spot.

I've had constant issues with my alignment too though. Even with regular maintenance the original Goodyear RT/S and now my Forteras are showing some cupping on the inner and outer tread. I had aftermarket camber kits installed by one shop but they made noise so I had them reinstall OE parts which (I discovered after the fact) were adjustable. After an alignment my Trac will track pretty straight but if I hit the slightest bump she gets thrown of whack all over again and starts to discretely wander to the left.

I can't tell if it's my shocks or the Goodyears that's the culprit (I need to check brakes too though). I think I need to visit a alignment specialty shop.

They did a thrust alignment, The rear wheels on the ST are not adjustable...

But they measure the angle the rear axle is sitting at and set the fronts accordingly so the truck doesn't dog track down the road...

Caster will not cause tire wear or a pull...

Camber will cause a pull and can destroy tires...

You can look at the upper control arms and look for the new washers or signs of them moving things, then they did adjust the camber....

You do not need a new kit for minor adjustments on 2003 and up st...

Todd Z

Yep Todd Z, right on the money, with only one exception

You do not need a new kit for minor adjustments on 2003 and up st...

Minor or Major adjustment. You don't need any type of kit for a mid 2002 and up.

It doesn't matter how much adjustment is needed, you won't get any more adjustment with the "bolt kit" than without.

Save your money, ask questions before they put a wrench in it.

Can you adjust my camber and caster without installing extra parts?

A yes answer would indicate a knowledgable shop.

If a dealership tries to sell you a kit. just ask to see the shop manual for the camber/caster adjustment procedure. No kit required to correct camber or caster (does not apply to 2001 and early 2002).

hal:

would you happen to know the cut off date for "mid 2002" model or early 2002, as I have an 02 4x4 and the front tires have abnormal or higher wear on the inner most row of tread than the rest of the tire

I have been unable to pinpoint a specific date, but a visual inspection of the threaded end of the upper control arm mounting bolts is how you tell if cams are required.

If the treaded area has a "flat" cut into one side, you will need four F5TZ-3C203-A cams. If the threaded area of the bolt has no "flat", no cams are required.

I have a 2002 that has had an alignment recently at my dealership with a major change in camber and they didn't need a kit to do it. I dont know off hand the production date.I did buy it in late Sept. of 2002 so I would figure it's a later production.

They told me the camber was the major problem with my inner tire wear.I only have about 2K on this set of tires but it does track and drive much better.

Markr

Hal, My '04 has a build date of 11/03. It doesnt have the factory camber kit as you explained it. Leave it up to Ford to use left over parts. They have been doing it since the 1960's. I can remember working on many Fords that would have a build date (example) 6/63 that would have parts from '61 or '62. the '63 parts would not fit. I think I ran into the most problems with 1966 model..:lol: Whether electrical or brakes, many times I would have to leave the old part at the dealer, or parts house. They would call me when they found a match..:lol:

Fast Eddie'04,

your ST will not have cams at all. The early ST's used adjusting cams. The later ones, like yours, simply have a bolt that needs to be loosened up, the factory locating plate thown away and replaced by a washer, then the arm slides to wherever required and the bolt tightened. The cam style adjustment, while it is more convienent to the alignment tech, is not required to correct the camber or caster.

Thanks, Hal

I know you work for Ford and Iam a Ford man myself. I hope you didnt take what I said about Ford Personal. It is just some of the funny stuff I ran into. I have never Had a Ford product leave me stranded. Even from normal wear and tear. I have been driving Fords for 40yrs..:D:cool:

Latest posts