Camber Kit needed?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P1ps dayz

Reaction score
Hello, i was wondering if may be my ST needs a camber kit.

To be honest I'm not really sure how it works and if its easy to install, but i do know my tires are DEAD right now and it surely is an alignment problem ( pic to explain )

Does the TS come with a adjustable suspension? such as camber change? if so why do i need it.

any help is greatly appreciated

[Broken External Image]:

You can get it at the dealer. If I remember correctly, it's $70.00. They are available aftermarket too (Moog and others). It'll need an alignment after the install.

P1ps,

I can't tell from the photo whether it's a camber or toe problem, but in either case, you do need an alignment.

I see from your profile that you have a '04. There is no need to install a "camber kit" on a '04. The shop manual now lists a new procedure that allows the tech to correct camber and/or caster by simply repositioning the upper control arm bolts (adding a washer in place of the factory "cam plate") and retorquing the bolts.

I want to do the schackle & torsion bar lift thing on my 2001, but if I need a camber kit , I better get one ordered from my dealer before I do anything:huh:, Huh?

Eldon,

the parts required for a '01 are just 4 cam plates (F5TZ-3C203-A) and I suspect that any dealer will have them in stock.

If you go aftermarket, you will need complete "kits" as they don't sell the individual plates like the dealer does.

Hmmm im im the sme situation as Nelson, my dealership knows nothing about this (go figure)

Im guessing i'll have to do things on my own, I would really appreciate if some one posted all of the measurements (toe, camber, etc) for the ST 04 here so i can go to a alignment shop and tell them i want this parameters on my ST.

I've done this but as you see, i think they did not have the correct ones...

Really appreciate all your help

P1ps,

I caught mine before the 12,000 mile warranty on the alignment expired. When I took my truck back for its first free oil change (3,000 miles), I asked them to check the alignment, because the truck was pulling to the left. They claimed to check it, and found everything "in specs". A few months later, I had my tires rotated by Firestone (they do this free since I bought my Revos from them). They noticed the uneven wear and suggested an alignment. I said "go ahead". They came back and told me the camber was not adjustable and that it was way out of specs. They said I needed a camber kit which would cost about $150. I told thenm not to worry, I would take it to the dealer for that.

I took the truck to the dealer, and showed them the alignment paperwork from Firestone. I also reminded them I had asked this to be fixed before by them, and they said every was OK. They obviously were lying to me. They ordered the parts for me that day, and fixed it the following weekend. I've not been back to that dealer, David Stanley Ford, in OKC. They will never see me again.

Yeah some dealerships are useless, i know a "few" of them.

May be some one has the specs for the alignment for a ST 04, this would really help!

Thanks!

P1ps,

In responce to your e-mail about how to adjust the camber:

The upper arm-to-frame mounting bolts have set shims that must be replaced with washers (W-705040-S900) to allow for adjustment of the arm in the frame slot. The vehicle should be supported by the lower arm to ease movement of the upper arm in the slot.

Remove the nuts and the shims.

Discard the nuts and shims.

Install new washers (W-705040-S900) and nuts and snug the nuts.

To adjust the caster and camber slide the arm in the slots to achieve the desired change.

Tighten the nuts.

Check and if necessary adjust the front toe.

Preferred specs:

front camber -0.5° ± 0.7°

front caster LH 3.15° ± 1.0°

RH 4.05° ± 1.0°

total toe 0.12° ± 0.25°

Several years ago my family owned a front end shop. We developed a system using KWIK-EZEE guages and came up with settings for front ends that were all the same, 0 degrees camber (both sides) 0 degrees caster (both sides or at least paired.) You can have several degrees of positive castor if they are paired. (wheels set forward) We used to have to leave Ford pickups with twin I beam front ends with as much as 5 degrees. We then would set the toe to 1/16 of an inch on both sides for a total of 1/8. We could really get a vehicle to drive nice.

I hope to be able to set my ST this way after I get the camber plates installed. I still have the guages and front end pit......

Thanks for your reply Hal, very useful!

Edit: Just to know... what does LH and RH mean?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
LH = left hand

RH = right hand

Eldon Webb,

don't mean to step on any toes, but you probably won't be able to achieve 0 deg. camber (due to adjustment limits) and if you drop the caster down to 0 deg. it'll be all over the road at higher speeds. Been there, done that.

I agree on many of these points. First, the absolute best is to take any vehicle to a pro-

front end alignment shop. These people do (usually) nothing but alignments, and they

pride themselves (the good shops) on knowing all the "tricks-of -the-trade", as it were.

Factories and engineers have many things to worry about to get the vehicle out of the

door, and just out of warranty. The "guys" (or gals, nowadays) at the F.E. shop make

their living off of this. I know, I use to live in Michigan with all of the winter-torn roads.

I was on a first-name basis with the owner of my local front end shop (say "potholes

big enough to swallow a compact car").Hope this helps...