Can a limited slip go bad?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brien Moore

Reaction score
I have a limited slip rear end. At first it worked good, but the last couple times I went 4-wheelin it didn't work. Can it be fixed? If I cant fix it I am thinking about getting a locker. Any help or suggestion would be great.

sounds like the cluch back may have went out.

yep they can be fixed, but before you have it done, check the price vs the locker

Don't even bother. Powertrax has a locker specifically made for limited slip carriers, and the difference is night and day. Once you have a locker you realize how useless the limited slip was, even new from the factory.

--Bob

Lockers are the way to go for offroading...no waiting for a wheel to slip to get power transfered, power is always there.

But yes, an LSD can go bad...the clutches car wear out, just like any other mechanical system on the car. There may be a rebuild kit out there for them, not really sure, haven't looked.

Brien,

LS dif can wear out as stated above. There are clutch pack rebuild kits available. The Ford LS is not really durable enough for serious off-road use. As mentioned, replace with the Powertrax. I had my LS rebuilt under warranty and it is fine for my use.