CAN IT HAPPEN ?????????

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tow a pop up but I have a class III hitch. I think it all all depends on the towing hitch you have. Your owners manuel should give you specifics.

I tow a 14' Bayliner allong with a trailer with a GAWR of 7400 LBS. It tows both without breaking a sweat.

Tom

I have a 22' Aerolite trailer that weighs 3800 lbs ready for camping(had it weighed). With an Equilizer weight distributing, andti-sway hitch, it tows fine. OD is usable only if I have a good tailwind. Gas milage is 13mpg with OD and 10 without as long as I keep it at about 60-65mph.. Used to have an old 22' boat that weighed 5500 lbs. You could tell the ST was working at it a bit to tow it, but it managed. OD was not an option at this weight. Wouldn't want to do long distances at that weight though... BTY, I have a '03 4x4 ST. Tow ratings for the ST are around 5100 lbs, depending on whether you have a 4x4 or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
ST is rated to tow about 5000 lb with the proper hitch. My jetski and trailer weighs about 1000 lb., I don't even know it's there. Laws vary by state, most require trailer brakes for trailers over 1500 to 2000 lb., depending.

I just towed on level roads a 5000 lbs boat, no trailer brakes with absolutely no problems. Launched and retrieved the boat from a not very steep ramp with no problems.

'05 owners manual states for a properly maintained vehicle, (pgs. 160-164):

* 4.0 L V6, all axle ratios:

4x2: Maximum GCWR 9600 # ; Maximum Trailer Weight 5260 #,

4x4: Maximum GCWR 9600 # ; Maximum Trailer Weight 5040 #.

Follow the "Severe" maintenance schedule in your owner's manual.

Weight-Distributing hitch is required for trailers over 3500 #.

Tongue Weight: Up to 2000 #, < max 200 # ;

Over 2000 #, 10-15 % of Trailer Weight, not to exceed 500 # , Class II,

Weight-Carrying; or 770 # Class III/IV Weight-Distributing Hitch.

Hope this helps!:)