Can Someone with an Extang Cover Assist?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Hale

Reaction score
I received my Extang cover today and so much for the "easy installation". After 3+ hours of not being able to get the rear bar to snap into place we finally measured the lengths of the cab and tailgate bars. My cab bar (silver portion only to where it connects with black plastic corner connectors) is 55 3/4" where the tailgate bar is 53 1/2". The tailgate bar says "tailgate" on it and has the rubber bottom piece that would rest on the top of the tailgate. The two sidebars are the same length. Would someone mind measuring their pieces and confirm that they are to be the same width (common sense says they should be). I would be much appreciative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where would you like the measuurements from? Tip to tip?(the piece that inserts) Is it a snap on like mine?(see pics in my library);)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same measurements. The cover is wider to the front than it is to the back that is why each bar is labeled differently. The front bars will not fit in the back and visa-versa. I had mine professionally installed so if you need anything else let me know and I'll see if I can help.;)

Thanks so much. The measurements are from brushed metal end to brushed metal end (does not include the plastic cap ends). Mine is the Tuff Tonneau III that seals on the sides without snaps or velcro. I really appreciate your assistance as I try to figure out if I have a defective unit (I somehow doubt it).

I and my family must have been on drugs last night. After Stonemiser confirmed the fact that his rails are not identical in size I went back and started from scratch and tried following the instructions even closer. Sure enough, after about 25 minutes, and one minor thumb cut, the top is on, looks great, and looks like it will serve its' purpose just fine. I have absolutely no clue what we did that was any different other than not being so tired. Unlike my initial post, this in fact should be a 20-25" process to install. Thanks to TruckCandy for such prompt shipment and to Extang for a wonderful product (once the purchaser pulls his head out). Thanks again Stonemiser!

Latest posts