Can the ST tow this?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Geller

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have an opportunity to get this for free, but here's the catch. It's on a campsite and has been for the last 20 years, the camper is a dual axle 33 ft Trailblazer travel trailer (bumper hitch). I'm estimating it to be around 5500-6000lbs.

There are gravel roads, so traction shouldn't be an issue, and it would have to be towed approx. 60 miles.

Can it be done?

Thanks in advance.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Gen 1 ST is only rated to tow up to 5300 lbs so you would be exceeding the rated limit for sure. Is it possible, yes but with extreme caution at very low speed. You would definitely want to have a trailer brake controller installed so the trailer brakes would work (which is also doubtful if it has not been moved for 20 years).

Hmmm, now that I think about it.....honestly, your best bet is to get a larger tow vehicle because I would say there is a 95% chance that the brakes on the trailer axles don't work. I would rent (or borrow if possible) a 250 or 350 series truck to tow it to your destination to be on the safe side. It' really not worth the risk you would be taking of injuring yourself, somebody else and lastly your vehicle.

I would agree with the above posts. I would be a little nervous about towing that. How about renting an F-150 or Super Duty for a little while just to move it?

It'll tow it, but as stated above, especially as psycareyo stated, it'll be interesting.. I towedmy 27' lightweight home 50 miles from my daughter's college with all of here stuff iin it, I was way overloaded. It towed it, but it did not like it...

I'll be the first to put my '03 ST to it's limits but that campar trailer needs to be towed by a fullsize truck with caution since it's been sitting for twenty years. The brakes on the trailer are the first thing to look at as well as the floors/frame/suspension parts since it's been sitting so long. Please do that before you take the chance of towing that anywhere. I drive tractor/trailer and tow all the time with my personal vehicles and over the years I've seen bad accidents that could've been avoided but people just hook and go on down the road.

As others have said, get a bigger vehicle. Those old trailers were MUCH heavier than the modern ones. A 33' one might even top out close to 10,000lbs. Plus, I'm sure the tires are dry rotted and the brakes won't work. I've pushed my ST(an '03) to about 6000 lbs, and it was very possible to do, but I knew the condition of the trailer I was pulling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.

I should have metioned that I would be putting new tires on it prior to towing. I think i'll just go and rent a 250 or 350 and tow it with that.

Thanks again.

Those old trailers were MUCH heavier than the modern ones.

Good point Chris, my motorcycle club has a 2006 24' enclosed trailer and it's stock weight is 4800 lbs. If you add another 9' plus interior furnishings (furniture, appliances, A/C, etc.) and I bet the actual weight of that 33 footer is closer to 8-9000 lbs. It's not worth damaging your vehicle over...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HenXz9Pgg3U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HenXz9Pgg3U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm glad to here you're going to rent a fullsize truck to tow it but please make sure you check out the frame/suspension parts/brakes/tires,rims/and the coupler to see that the clapse mechanism will still work properly. I see that you're up in Canada so I'll bet that there's a fair share of rust and rot under the trailer. Just be careful and let us know how everything went after you move it. :)

I think it would tow just fine with a class IV hitch. However. I'd pull the wheel bearings and repack 'em in addition to new tires, clean, check, test brakes. Check out the lighting too.

Latest posts