Carson Rebel Toy Hauler

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe B 4

Reaction score
So what do you think, how well will my '07 limited 4x4 w/V6 handle this unit with one quad aboard? Went to Glamis this past weekend and came out like a powdered doughnut sleeping in the tent. Dang wind storm. I used to have a 23' Toy hauler but also had a Dodge Hemi MegaCab 4x4 to pull it with.

I am more concerned about the wind drag than the weight as we towed about 2000 pouns there this weekend a did not even know there was a trailer back there.

http://carsontrailer.com/subs/trailers/rv_sport/pull_front_kitchen/fr_rebel.html

My 02 V6 towed 4500 (scale weighed) with no issues through the mountains. It was a 6x12 enclosed fully loaded when we moved from VA to CA. Shouldn't be an issue at all as long as you don't load it down fully. Trailer and 1 quad, and stuff for the weekend shouldn't put it much of 4500 I wouldn't think.

My 2003 ST pulls my 1987 GMC Sonoma show truck on a u-Haul car trailer with no problems and I also have a 1998 Chevy S-10 truck back-halfed that I turned into a trailer, with that completely loaded down I don't have any issues either so you should be fine. Might want to upgrade to cross drilled rotors like I did though it with really save your brakes, towing or not, it makes a world of difference. Jerry

just keep in mind the 3200 lbs is the dry weight. If at all possible, tow it with out water in the tank. Atv will add about 600 lbs alone, depending on model.

My Coleman weighed about the same empty, but when fully loaded, pushed well above that, close to 5k. ST towed it great, I just had to be easy with it or my gas mileage was in the pits.

My quad is in the 370# range. TRX450r. Figure water will be around 350# as well and will fill up most of the time around the destination. Another 200# for food, pots, pans, clothes, etc. I am guessing close to 1000# on top of trailer weight which should still keep me under 5000#.

Here's a link to the 2003 towing guide for those w/ applicable models. Our Tracs are on page 8.

I'm sorry I couldn't provide anything for the '07

I was looking at that as well as my owners manual. According to the books, I am good up to ~5100#. I know it will not be the fastest up the mountain, but I just want it to get there and stop once there.

You should be OK towing this trailer, just don't weigh it down too much. You'll probably have to install a brake controller in the Trac.

I'd highly recommend getting a weight distribution/sway control hitch. This will help tremendously with the sway of the trailer caused by wind drag, and help distribute the tongue weight more evenly. I had one with my 23' hybrid trailer, and it towed much better than my old pop-up without the weight distribution/sway control hitch. I had the Equal-i-zer Hitch, and it worked great for me.

[Broken External Image]:

I agree with Train Trac,

I had (many years ago) a Dodge Dakota V8 that towed a 29' Terri Dakota (I believe it weighed 4200 dry). I had the weight distribution system (WDS) and what a difference it made. You can set it up so the weight is transferred to all 4 wheels not all on the tongue. This makes for excellent handling.

I currently have an 07 V8 ST and tow a pop up camper (see library). I don't have a weight distribution system on it now but the pop-up has a deck on the front and when loaded, it really drags the back of the truck down. Thinking of getting WDS to level things out.

Good luck!

From the 07 manual..

[Broken External Image]:

I bet that TRX450r is a ton of fun. I have an 02 TRX400EX and it's a nice running quad so I can only imagine how the 450 performs.

Have a Prodigy brake controller ready to go in already. Will have to buy a WD Hitch again but would not tow without it.

Found this one tonight anyone close to them to do a visual on them and provide some feedback?

http://www.roseandrose.biz/images/12224%20Fiber-Lite%20Summit%20Sheet.pdf