Cash Cab on Discovery channel / Toyota

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Ponder

Reaction score
I have watched this show many times, (I like the show) and it just occured to me that the "Cash Cab" minivan, is a Toyota... I was just wondering if anyone would "think twice" about geting into a cab simply because it was a Toyota? I know I have seen Prius taxi's around too.

Just wondering what opinion was regarding public transportation. Would you feel safe?

The older Cash Cab used to be a Honda minivan, I have not watched it lately but I am suprised that they swtiched to a Toyota. Perhaps now Toyota's are more popular as cabs in NY and they probably did not want people to be able to spot the only Honda cab in town. And perhaps Toyota made the producers of the show a deal they could not refuse?

...Rich

Dave,

Toyota's on the road today are as safe as they were in 2009 and earlier. No one thought twice about them then...and many felt their quality and safety was superior.

If public opinion has changed since then, or to anyone who's opinion has changed regarding Toyota, I ask this question: "Why has your [the] opinion changed?"

Have opinions changed because of personal experience, or because of media frenzy?

I said some time ago when Toyota was getting all the accolades in Consumer Reports and with the public and many here were pooh-poohing them ("they aren't that good", yada, yada) that PERCEPTION defines REALITY. I said then whether or not the facts are that Toyota is, or isn't better in quality, or value than Ford given whatever hard metrics there are isn't really the issue.

People's opinion define reality. The marketplace is speaking.

The forces, largely of perception, drove Toyota to the top. Those same forces are driving them down.

Toyota's quality is today what it was yesterday. The good news is that because of this, their quality (and safety) will likely be EVEN BETTER tomorrow, and their price will be adjusted by the marketplace. Put simply, if you are one that is not easily programmed, then tomorrow's Toyota should provide the most value for your dollar than any other.

TJR

TJR,

I simply posed a question.
I was just wondering if anyone would "think twice" about geting into a cab simply because it was a Toyota?

MY opinion has not chaged, I was asking if OTHERS have. Good Grief...

why wouldn't anyone get in the cab just becuase it was a toyota?

there are many ford escape hybrid cabs in nyc as well, would i think twice about getting in one of those? NO

would i think twice about getting in a crown vic cab? NO

i am not thinking twice about getting into ANY toyota. if someone thinks they are unsafe getting into a toyota really should just stay shuttered in their house and not come out at all :sad:

Dave,

Why the "Good grief" comment? I wasn't upset. I wasn't hostile. I didn't attack you for asking the question. It was a good question. If my response upset you then I apologize.

Please let me explain...

You asked the question and I simply answered it by saying:
Toyotas on the road today are as safe as they were in 2009 and earlier. No one thought twice about them then...and many felt their quality and safety was superior.

That was my way of saying: "NO, I wouldn't think twice about stepping into a Toyota cab; or a Toyota rental car (as I did two weeks ago). The cars are as safe now as when many were falling all over themselves about how great they were."

Then I commented on the extremely fickle nature of public opinion, in particular as it relates now and in the past to Toyota.

Surely you must have some opinion on the rather dramatic CHANGE in opinion of the public as of late. Don't you? Is it deserved? Is it long-overdue (some here think so)? Is it whipped into more than it is by media frenzy?

Questions like yours tend to fuel the flames of the fire - that fire being that somehow Toyotas today are unsafe. The reality is that they are as safe today as they were a year ago. The only thing that has changed is the perception....and as I said, perception does in fact define reality...Toyota safety, then and now, is proof of that.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a fact to show that this whole Toyota fiasco has been blown way out of all sense of proportions:

Of the millions of vehicles Toyota made during the model years in questions, less than 2 thousandths or one percent of these vehicles have reported this"Sudden Acceleration" problem.

With such a small number of failures and very random occurances, it's really not a lot to go on when nothing can be duplicated. So they originally thought it was the floor mats. As soon as it appears that the floor mats were not the cause, they stopped sales and production of all the suspected vehicles.

So your odds of riding in a Toyota with the Sudden Acceleration defect are very small...You probably have better chances of winning the lottery, or getting struck by lightening.

...Rich

I would avoid taking anything other than a Ford, GM, or Chrysler vehicle if I needed a taxi. If I had no other choice, I would consider walking if the distance isn't too far. In most cases, I have my own vehicle, a Ford, so grabbing a cab is a waste of money.

That is the way I operate.

I will pay for an upgrade to get a Ford product when renting a vehicle. If they have no Fords to rent then I will rent something from GM or Chrysler. If they only have imports, I rent from somewhere else.

I choose to reward those that buy from an American company.

Tom

Caymen,

I have my own vehicle, a Ford, so grabbing a cab is a waste of money.

Obviously, you have never been to NY Ciity where the Cash Cab operates. It would cost you 10 times as much to park your Ford than it would be to take a cab, That's why many people who live in New York City do not own cars, or even have a drivers licenses. People visiting New York City rarely even rent cars because the subway, Bus and cab services make rental cars a bigger hassle than most visitors want to deal with. If you park in the wrong place you will be ticketed, towed, or booted, and that cost a lot more than taxi fare.

Some people who live in NY City that own cars can pay as much as $30K a year for a reserved parking spot...at their Condo or Apartment.

Most people wanting a cab in NY City are not that picky since just getting a cab at times can be a real headache. I cannot imagine you refusing to ride in a cab that was not American made??? I think that is carrying the Union label a bit too far.

...Rich

Obviously, you have never been to NY Ciity where the Cash Cab operates.

Actually, I have been to NYC. Had a job there working in Queens. I did drive through Manhattan on my way to Queens.

I think that is carrying the Union label a bit too far.

It is not the union label.

Tom

I don't think I'd ever end up on the Cash Cab since all the people I've seen on it get in the cab to go just a couple blocks, something that is easily walkable :(

Any cab-worthy distance that can't be done by the subway in NYC would probably normally cost more than one is likely to win on Cash Cab. Last time I took a cab, it was 80 bucks, just from BWI to Union Station, DC, which is barely 20 miles.

Cheaper to have driven & parked in DC.

Caymen,

Driving through downtown Manhattan you only have to deal with the heavy traffic. It is much different when you are stopping for dinner, a show, or a meeting where you have to park. That's when it gets real expensive, real fast....Parking is a nightmare and most visitors just use cabs and the subway system...which is what most of the locals use.

If you drive your own car, it might be cheaper and faster to drive to the resturant, sell the car, and buy another car when you leave the resturant. :bwahaha:

...Rich

tom,

if that is your stance, you better make sure EVERTHING in your home is made in america.

:bwahaha:

how about the food you eat?

imo, kind of silly to say, cant get into your cab it is not from an american made company

I choose to reward those that buy from an American company.

If that's the case, I'll assume then that you've chosen to ride in Crown Vic cabs in the past, right? If I remember correctly, most of the Crown Vics were made in Canada.

TT,

Your point? I said "American company" and not "American made", though I try to buy American made whenever I can.

Tom

:btddhorse::btddhorse::btddhorse::btddhorse::btddhorse::btddhorse::btddhorse::btddhorse::btddhorse::btddhorse::btddhorse::btddhorse::btddhorse::btddhorse::btddhorse::btddhorse:

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

...Rich

BTW, I recently seen on the news that the 90+MPH runaway Toyota in San Diago, CA may not be a true Suddend Acceleration incident since preliminary NHTSA investigation indicates that the Brakes did not show signs that they were being used as heavily as reported, but perhaps he was just ridding the brakes a little??

Also, the Toyota crash in NY was also investigated by NHTSA and found that the black box indicated that the driver was pressing on the accelerator and not the brake just before the crash.

It's starting to look like the Balloon Boy's relatives are all buying Toyota's now???

...Rich

and drives downtown Toronto

Are you sure that's not the same Cash Cab seen in the US?

Everything is filmed in Toronto...if it isn't in Vancouver.

I remember seeing the 2008 Hulk movie and seeing a street that looked incredibly reminiscent of Toronto during the ending fight sequence....and every time I've been there I've seen something being filmed lol.

:eek:fftopic:

Latest posts