Castrol Syntec

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Tollison 3

Reaction score
I have been seeing alot of commercials lately for Castrol Syntec and was wondering if anyone is using it. It is about time for another oil change and was thinking about using it.

Any oil that meets Ford specs will be fine. In fact, The Motorcraft Syn Blend that was put in the Trac at the factory is as good as any synthetic as far as engine wear and longevity are concerned. There is very little independent testing evidence that shows any tangible benefits from using synthetics unless you plan to extend the change interval to 10,000 miles or more. Then, you would need a full synthetic oil.

I took the break in oil out of my 01 Trac and changed to Castrol Syntec and have ran it ever since with Mototcraft filters.:)

FWIW, Castrol USA is a blender in the states. They do not actually refine their oils. They buy basestocks and mix in their additive packages. The only thing wrong with that is quality control over the manufacture of the basestocks. Games can be played to make a basestock meet specs using subpar feedstocks. It is a dino synthetic if that matters to you. While a good oil, it won't go the distance or go to the extremes of say a PAO synthetic like Mobil One, Amsoil, or Pennzoil Platinum. If it is the same price as any of the PAOs it is hardly worth the money. You can buy a mostly Gp III basestock oil like Phillips Trop Artic, Kendall, or Union motor oils that will be somewhere around 60% Gp III. TA was available at some of the Dollar stores and if you can find any- it's a bargain. Motorcraft will be formulated more toward the Conoco oils as Conoco furnishes the HydroClear basestock for the MC oils. For the best all around protection value, find an oil that is high in moly and boron. Havoline, Chevron Supreme, and Pennzoil are leaders in that formulation and wear metals will be at the lowest averagely using these types of formulations. If you are like the average consumer, you will be trading your vehicle every 4 years. There are many vehicles on the road at over 200,000 miles using Walmart oil. Do you run your vehicles to the absolute last mile or do you trade every 4 years? Is the extra cost of an oil a benefit to you? These are questions you need to think about before investing in a premium priced oil that may not necessarily be any better than El Cheapo. Also, there is no more lubricity in any synthetic over a common dino oil so don't buy into the synthetics yielding better fuel mileages. The Energy Conserving oils will go head to head with the synthetics anyday concerning fuel mileage.

Sorry for the long post. I'm new to this board and I will most likely be in a Sport Trac as soon as I can find the one I want. I hate ordering one as I like to drive in, give them my money and drive off. I hate waitng. I have been reading the posts here in particular for any issues you may be having. It seems like the new ST has had a decent introduction- not many issues. I'll probably be lurking around for awhile until I actually own one and then look out- here I'll be!