Cat back exhaust installation question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ted Best

Reaction score
Hi all, i finally got my Dynomax Cat back exhaust system. I called Midas and made an appointment to have it installed. He told me it would probably take at least 2 hours to weld it on. Is that right? Someone else told me it should only take about an hour.

TIA

Ted

It all depends on how slow they work. If it is a pre fabricated kit, it should be under an hour. If they have to bend the tubes to fit, it will take longer. Mine took about 1:15, they had to do it for scratch.

Duece

is there someone else other than Midas that can install it for you?....not sure what they will be charging you but they are usually high

they are charging $80/hour. i'm not sure what a good rate is. seems a little high to me. i can't believe it's going to take 2 hours. i'm having them weld it on but it's only two pipes and the muffler.

this is what i have:

http://www.speedyperformanceparts.com/performance/basket.php?makeid=9&year=2002&modelid=103&partid=83&brandid=1425

My local independent only charged me $50 flat fee..I have the magnaflow cat back..

Find another shop, thats too high...

Find someplace else or install it yourself and take it to another place for the welding only.

If it takes them two hours to install that kit then they are totally incompetent. That can be installed in your driveway or garage. The most difficult part would be cutting the old exhaust pipe with a reciprocating saw, which would take less than a two minutes for two cuts.

My dual out system with custom bending and two chrome tips welded on took just over an hour at a local shop. Parts and labor was less than $400.00 using a Magnaflow muffler and two Magnaflow tips.

it was me that told you it should take about an hour....there is no welding whatsoever...its a bolt on kit...they are trying to squeeze some $ out of you!!!