CAYMAN KNOWLEDGE REQUESTED

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lukus

Reaction score
Cayman

Thanks for taking the time to post your opinion and guessing on answers to question that I posted forthe Sport Trac engineers. Since you were able to attend the 2006 St Meet, I greatly appreciate If you could now share the engineers answers to my posted June 6th posting. Thanks

This is all I know about a Cayman. Unless you are looking for Tom Schindler (aka Caymen) :)

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
1 Why are day time running lights not a option for non fleet/ Canadan St's

Question never asked since DRL's are standard in Canada and the USA does not require them. (Thank God!!!)

2 Why was the storage behind the rear seats eliminated.

We brought that up, they didn't have an answer.

3 Why not utilize the entire tailgate when you design the cargo cage ( square it off )

When the bed extended in in the bed, the squared off design would interfere with the operation of the side storage pockets in the bed.

4 Install the same convex mirror as the Freestar , in the overhead consol

Never brought it up.

5 Take the gear shift off the floor and give me more space for STUFF !

Personally, I feel most people like the floor shifter (I prefer column shift myself, unless it has three pedals on the floor). Nobody asked anything.

6 Why did you put the gas fill on the passenger side.

Because that is where the fuel tank is. The tank on the right side worked better for vehicle balance, therefore, the fuel filler has to go on the same side as the fuel tank.

7 CHROME BUMPERS like a real truck !!

Nobody asked that questios because the Trac is not a truck, but an SUV.

Tom

While the fuel filler and tank on the passenger side give better balance, it was moved primarily because that is the same side that the filler door and tank is on all Explorers. So it's really more of a case of Ford wanting to standardize on as many interchangable parts as possible.

...Rich

Huh? I assume you are saying the questions were never asked. I am sure it is a conspiracy that there was many people there such as Rich Lunder, Rich Stern, JKII, Tiger, Monkeyboy, John Tee, and others that were there all never asked those questions. I also wen't as far as saying we didn't ask other questions just to mke it sound like it really happened.

To be honesy, I never thought to ask those questions because I could care less about the 2007 Trac. Other people did and that is the answer we got.

Go ahead Q, make fun of what I said. Deny what I said is the truth. You didn't go t the meet. Since you were there, you can't comment on what was said so it is best to keep your trap shut.

Tom

Q,

Some of the questions were asked, some where not. The question about why the gas filler door was moved to the passenger side on the 07 Sport Trac was asked. They said they moved it to the passenger side on the Explorer because it was better balanced on that side to offset the driver's weight, etc. Then they said that since the new Sport Trac was based on the current Explorer chassis, etc. they wanted to take advantage of as many existing Explorer parts on the Sport Trac so they were able to use the same fuel tank and neck assembly. I ask one of the plant managers about this while we were on the tour of the assembly plant. Also, the exhaust on the new Explorer and Sport Trac are on the driver side now so they could not used the previous Sport Trac's driver's side fuel tank.

...Rich

Rich,

Q is just trying to stir the pot. He never has anything helpful to say and it seems Chops is starting to follow the same road.

Tom