Cayman's ST is full of air

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B M

Reaction score
Attention has been obtained... Cayman on your ST you have the Air shocks from summit. Question, I believe they are rated at about 2500lbs, if you are to add more weight, or approach the 2500lbs, does the truck begin to sag, as if you have 1000 lbs on the normal ST suspension? In other words if I were to place more then the rated weight in the bed is it going to blow the air shocks, or will it just make them sag a bit?? Also, the 2500 is well above what our truck is supposed to be rated for. If loaded to 2500 lbs, are we at risk of damaging the axle or even tires, etc. etc? Did you install the compressor inside the vehicle or have it outside and fill them when needed? I am hauling sand gravel and all kinds of crap, and making 4 trips for 2 yards is a waste of time. Anyone else have one of those load handler things with the roll of canvas that you pile crap onto and then roll it off the back of the ST??? Thanks in advance, don't wanna get yelled at by the Thank you, you're welcome police....

Brian, how dare you make light of the Thank you Welcome Police. They serve a vital role on this forum. Go to your room and give yourself ten lashes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed the Roadmaster Active Suspension last week (from Summit). Haven't had a chance to load it down yet (August 7th going camping) but I like the way it feels with normal driving!

Cayman on your ST you have the Air shocks from summit.

I got them from Summit, they are made by Air Lift.

Question, I believe they are rated at about 2500lbs, if you are to add more weight, or approach the 2500lbs, does the truck begin to sag, as if you have 1000 lbs on the normal ST suspension? In other words if I were to place more then the rated weight in the bed is it going to blow the air shocks, or will it just make them sag a bit??

I Have had 2300 LBS in the bed of my Trac. I have pictures. It sat level, though I would avoid loading anything more then that.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Also, the 2500 is well above what our truck is supposed to be rated for. If loaded to 2500 lbs, are we at risk of damaging the axle or even tires, etc. etc?

Yes we are. We are also at risk for damaging the frame too. If you plan on using your Trac as a 3/4 ton truck, you are better off buying a 3/4 ton truck. If you are planning on doing weekend work aroud the house, then you should be fine.

Did you install the compressor inside the vehicle or have it outside and fill them when needed?

I fill them as I need them. I ran the valves through the rear bumper and out through the lower licence plate holes.

I am hauling sand gravel and all kinds of crap, and making 4 trips for 2 yards is a waste of time.

You should be able to get 1 yard per load in the Trac.

Anyone else have one of those load handler things with the roll of canvas that you pile crap onto and then roll it off the back of the ST???

Sorry, I have used it and I don't know of anyone that does.

Tom

Hey, Thanks a bunch for the quick response ! I remember those pics from a while back, They have been "stewing" in my mind for a while now..... My wife says this is how I get into trouble.....by "thinking". Everything is "thought" out carefully, in my happy world, at least I think so. No need to buy a bigger vehicle, the ST is perfect for my little projects. The other day I was at a light, there was a Ram crew cab next to me, I think I may have let my eyes linger a bit too long, the ST got upset with me. Started to idle rough, and then smoothed out when I looked away....... I think I may have been better off staring at the bikinis on South Beach with my wife next to me, I don't know which is more moody. Side note, if I am suddenly murdered, someone sent this to my wife. Please note that I said thank you though, THAT counts for something..... Take care all..

I added the AirLift bags to my ST a couple weeks ago, but haven't had the chance to use them. If my pool company would ever get done building my pool I would be able to try them out by getting a pallet of sod and finally replacing what they destroyed. :angry:

Hey if you get the chance let me know how it works with a full pallet of sod. That will be a project soon too.. Good luck with the pool, it ALWAYS takes forever, they blame the city for not doing the inspections promptly. Once guy told us we could have it done in 8 days, my wife was kicking me because I completely laughed at him.. Funny guy..

Lasik1, I finally updated the thread I started (linked below), but we're actually seeing progress now with a litlle help from a lawyer. :)

Latest posts