CEL and Gas Cap Light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Wales

Reaction score
First off, thanks for all those who contribute to this site. I have been reading a lot on here since I got my truck last month. I have had my st (2001 j2) for about a month, after having it about a week the “Check gas cap” light came on. Since that time I have:

Put on a new gas cap.

Replaced the infamous elbow (mine looked fine).

Looked around for obvious line breaks.

I also checked all my lines at the back fuel evap box (replaced the shocks on day 2.) It looks fine, except to me it looks like one line is missing. I have circled it on the photo, does anyone know (or can someone check) is there supposed to be a line here? The picture is taken from the back of the truck after I dropped the box down. The box beside the circled region says “to canister” and points to the other side with a hose.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for why my gas cap light is coming on? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

[Broken External Image]:

Is your truck a regular unleaded or flex fuel truck? It looks like there might be another hose that goes on that box, but I would need to know what type of fuel yours uses.

Thats the inlet air breather for the vapor system, That side does not get a hose...

There were issues with the 2001 where the hose by the radiator with a green cap on it would rub the cooling line and cause the same problem..

Todd Z

I just went out and looked at that line (driver's side right by the radiator), it seems fine. I should also mention that at idle in gear the truck runs slightly rough (I mean slightly, barely noticeable, but I doubt it is normal.)

Thanks for the fast responses and ideas, if there are no other common issues should I be thinking of a mechanic to track down the leak? Or do I ignore it, or is the process of finding an emissions leak something I could do? I can easily do plugs, brakes, shocks, and have done a couple of head gasket replacements in the past by myself, so I am not afraid to look, just don’t know how to do something like this.

Mine did that for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

I kept getting out and checking the gas cap.

Took it off and lubricated it and fiddled with it for a while.

When running errands that day it was on, but I saw it go off and has never lit up again.

Very strange.

It would drive me crazy if it was on all the time. :blink:

My gas cap only turns one click, then comes back some. Same as my taurus and other fords I have seen, it isn't the click type of cap. I really hope to figure this out since the last 60,000 miles of my taurus I had a CEL on and it was one of the reasons I bought the ST:blink: