Changed the fuel filter on my '10 Limited.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
I got my Trac all ready for winter. Changed the oil and filter. Air filter, Wiper blades, and the fuel filter.

The fuel filter was different than my '03 Adrenaline and my '07 Limited. This one was on the right inside frame rail, and was cleverly hidden by a plastic cover that I had to remove. Ford changed the filter clamps again- these were the quick fittings, but had a "hidden" U-shaped plastic clip to slide out. They weren't too bad after I figgured out the little latch piece that locked them in.

Took the old filter and held it with the inlet end down to drain it on a white paper towel. It was full of fine rust powder- I'll bet at least a tablespoon of the stuff came out. Bet there was twice as much left inside! I don't get my gas at one station regularly, but cycle around 3-4 Top Tier branded stations in town. Wish I knew where I was getting all this junk. I am thinking it is coming from the station pump wear?

Anyway, get my new tires mounted later this week, and I will be all ready to go!

Did the same for Wife's Pilot, plus the cabin filter and new swaybar bushings and endlinks. Used Moog parts for the swaybar. Much heavier than the OEM parts. Got rid of an annoying clunk that had developed recently. Wife is happy (well, happy is relative...).

Love those 5-quart bottles of Mobil 1 5W20 EP motor oil from Wal-Mart!

Also love Rock Auto! Prices were almost half of what locals want for filters and the swaybar parts. Rock Auto had the premium Bosch ICON wipers for around $9- the same one's Wal-Mart has on sale for nearly $18!

Love those clips...BLAH !

IMO, garbage in your filter came from station tank through pump into your Trac's tank. Think the gas pump filters get changed on a regular schedule? Ask the counter attendant and you'll probably get a blank stare. BTW, how many miles on the filter you just changed?

Be very careful with the clips as they can break easily. If you break one of the clips you have to replace the entire line as Ford does not stock or sell the clip...another brilliant idea

Going through the same routine on my '10 Limited Gavin. I went ahead and put the wipers on since it's a 2 minute job, and will install the fuel filter and rotate the tires this weekend.

One question, did you do anything to relieve fuel pressure before removing the fuel filter?

Thanks.

Nothing done to relieve pressure.

These plastic clips seem pretty wimpy. I never thought about them breaking. That would really suck. I miss the spring clips / special tool that my '03 Adrenalin had. I never had any problem with those.

Had 31,000 miles on the 'Trac when I changed the original filter.

Doubt if the gas pumps have any filters on them. If they did and were not serviced regularly, they would just clog up- not pass more junk.

Gas stations around here are all owned by one of two local families. No competition, and none of them are nice, clean, or have any windshield cleaner, paper towels, etc. They absolutely do not care about customers.

There's your answer then about trash in the gas - which is why I recommend replacing fuel filter every two years, or every year for high-mileage drivers.

Last edited by a moderator: