Changing Brake Fluid

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the best fluid to change it to? And what brand pads and rotors does anyone recommend. Just changed our Passat's rear pads and rotors this weekend and the owner boards for those cards are loaded with help and recommendations.

Thanks for the insight,

Jeff

I have been very happy with both Akebono and Wagner thermoquiet pads.

Fluid... Meet or beat DOT3 is fine. Not much sense in wasting on anything more than that on a stock braking system.

As for the brake fluid, I have read alot of information about it. One interesting thing I have read is regarding motorhomes. Reading many articles in Motorhome magazine, they recomend nothing buy Motorcraft brake fluid. On vehicles, like a motorhome that experences severe service few cars will ever see, Motorcraft brake fluid kept the system cleaner and rust free compared to all other brands of brake fluid.

Motorhomes carry lot of weight and the braking system must stop it. At the same time, motorhomes sit for months at a time. I do know out 1986 Coachmen's brake lines are 20 years old and all original! Was it the brake fluid or not? I don't know, but I am sticking with Motorcraft fluid.

If you think different fluid will give you better braking, give up that thought. It ain't going to happen unless your old fluid is wet and it boils in the caliper. If you have that problem, then new fluid will fix the issue. If not, changing fluid won't chnge anythig.

Tom

Tom's right, DOT 3 is all you need. The only reason to step up to DOT 5 is if you're doing a lot of track days and getting your brakes very hot, often. In which case, you'd need upgraded brakes, suspension, and a whole slew of other things as well.