Changing oil in a '04 Wrangler

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cory Richards

Reaction score
I know this sounds stupid, but since I've only changed oil and filters on Explorers I was curious if there is anything different to changing the oil on a Jeep Wrangler (I know at least a few members here own one). I know that an oil change is an oil change and that it's a pretty universal process, but I figured it's better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for humoring this ridiculous question.

Same same.

You should not run into any issues on the Wrangler.

If the filter sits in such a way you can fill it with oil before installing you should do so as it helps the oil to criticle components that much sooner

Remove the oil fill cap and dipstick.

Remove drain plug.

Remove oil filter, be sure old gasket removes with filter.

Replace oil filter making sure to lube the rubber gasket with oil (new or old, doesn't matter...this oil won't enter into the system, it's just there to ease of the final tightening of the filter).

Replace drain plug, be sure to use a new crush washer.

Use some brake cleaner to clean up any oil that has dripped onto anything.

Fill up with new oil, but stop short about .5 QT low.

Start up the engine and let it run for a few moments.

Check the oil level on the dip stick.

Finish filling up.

Restart motor, run for a few moments, shut down.

Recheck oil level, top off if needed.

Also, check your tire pressures, wear pattern (rotate them as well, if you can), your brakes, your drive/accessory belts, power steering fluid level and condition, brake fluid level (don't open the resivoir unless you are putting fluid in), coolant level (in both the radiator and reserve....NEVER open the radiator cap when hot), washer fluid level, and ATF level and condition (while running), and generally just inspect the vehicle overall for wear, tear and anything unusual. Get in the habit of doing ALL of this eith every oil change, you'll more then likely find something that needs attention that otherwise you would've never noticed.

Find coupon for $12.99 plus tire rotation. Be first one at service shop on Saturday morning and be on your way by 8am without wondering what to do with 4-5 quarts of used oil, blood on knuckles, burnt flesh and you save a few aggravated 'choice' words for a better occasion.

And yes, they should also check your tires & fluids and hopefully top off, if not they will suggest things to you. If it is for $$, tell them you have the necessary products at home and will take care of it.

The little extra you may pay over buying your own oil and filter will be made up with in the 'personal pay scale'.

I know what my time is worth.

JT#14

I wish life was as simple as that Travis. The last time I had someone else change my oil, they stripped my drain plug and didn't tighten the filter enough. Oh, and they tried to sell me on 'needed maintenance' on my vehicle which was not necessary.

I like the peace of mind of doing the job right myself.