Changing Oil question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Mahen

Reaction score
So I am finally doing my first oil change, and was wondering what type of pan or container do you guys use to catch the oil when it pours out of the truck? Also where can you get one, eg Autozone? Walmart?

Thanks in advance

...i just use a cheap pan i bout at advance... think it was like $5something...

its black.. yellow lid. its the biggest i need so yea...

and when ur done, take ur oil back so it can be "recycled" or whatever is done to it... lol

I use an old rubbermaid plastic, rectanguler basin. I buy the 5 quart containers of oil then when done changing I use a funnel to put the old oil back in the original container for recycling. Someday I will take all my old containers somewhere. <grin>

You'll need a pan to catch 4 quarts - and a roll of paper towels to wipe the 5th quart off your arm when you remove the filter. ;)

EricP, that's too true.

My father's Tacoma has its oil filter on top of the engine and angled down, so it's incredibly easy to get to and nothing spills out when it's removed. It's the only vehicle I've personally seen that's like that, but I'm sure he'll appreciate it every 3000 miles.

TJR, I have a small sea of old oil containers in my garage as well! I take them all back about once a year and spend an hour or so emptying them all out into the big tank. I just gauge it by how mad my wife sounds when she asks when I'm going to get all those old oil jugs out of here!

Use a gallon size Zip-Loc bag around the filter. After loosening the filter, slip the Zip-Loc over the filter until the bottom of the bag is against the bottom of the filter (ensure that the bag is to the top of the filter) and begin to unscrew the filter. When you see the first bit of oil trickle in the bag, stop loosening the filter for 15 or 20 seconds to let the oil drip undisturbed, then continue to remove it. The filter will end-up in the Zip-Loc with most, if not all, of the oil that would normally drip on the frame, etc.

You are correct, Jeff, you are correct. Even better, though, help your neighbor or friend with driveway character - do the oil change at their place!

I have a large drain pan with a spout to pour the oil out of. I pour it into the storm sew..., oops, I mean a 5 gal frying oil container that a restaurant gives the county recycling center and take it there when it gets full. :D

Not like it helps Dingo. "$%&*!!! Hey Jeff, see if you can get that fuel filter off" :lol::lol::lol:

Latest posts