Changing Shocks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Tan

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I finally made the move to change out the stock shocks to Rancho RSX ( they are having a sale). Any advice before I start work. I took a peep under the chasis and It didnt look too complicated. I read an article on this site to take down the breather box. I have no idea what that meant. Any help appreciated. Thanks

dt

Remove the front tires.

Unfasten the evap. assembly just behind the left rear shock area. It's a big black plastic housing with two or three hoses attached. Do not disconnect anything from tha assembly, merely remove the three bolts holding the assembly in place and move it out of the way (you'll know why as soon as you try to remove that left rear shock).

That's about it.

Make sure you have all the small parts that you're supposed to. I ordered a set of Pro Comp shocks, so much was missing, plus one was obviously defective*, that I sent them back and just went to Sears. :angry:

* ring-ring

"Hello, unnamed mail order 4x4 parts place, Fred speaking."

"High this is John. Why does one front shock try to expand and the other just stays where I put it?."

"Uh, send them back and we'll refund you."