Check Engine Error Code

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ted Best

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm having some serious exhaust issues(very sluggish and loud) and the Check Engine Light is on. The first mechanic I went to said i needed a whole new exhaust system. The second one said my cats were ok and i just needed from the Cats back. would it be worth it to upgrade any part of my exhaust system without upgrading my cats?

A few days later I went to AutoZone to get my Check Engine Error Code. It came up with P0401 which is "EGR Flow Insufficient". Would that hinder my ST's performance? Is it possible that i don't need a new Exhaust system? Would it help if i had someone blow out the EGR or replaced the sensor?

Thanks for your help guys

Ted

It's the DPFE sensor, it's about 30-40 bucks, easy do it yourself. Don't pay anyone especally Ford to replace. It's done in less then 3 minutes. Do a search here for additional information.

It's a common problem with most ST's.

Since you're doing the DPFE check for cracked elbow . Check elbow especially if you get a P0171 system too lean (bank 1) and P0174 system too lean (bank 2). code

also a quick and easy fix. Don't pay to have one do it for you

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=864503&sitename=mysporttrac

Do such things first, your exhoust system should still be good.

Edit: Linked for the lazy

2nd Edit :Only let Ford do it if you want to wast time and If you're still in warranty. I seem to recall the DPFE sensor is covered with an extended 70k warranty on that part. A while back Ford issued a TSB for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many miles do you have? I believe that part is covered by an additional warranty to 70,000 miles. Mine was free when I went and had them look at the code. Even said on the paperwork, "Parts and labor - $0.00"

Replace the DPFE...

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts