Check engine light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivan Collado

Reaction score
Hello people. Does anyone know how to reset the check engine light. Mine has come on at 39K miles but there's no malfunction anywhere. Everything seems ok. No vibrations, loss of power, spiting, missfire, no nothing. Any help?

Thanks

You can lift the neg. battery cable for 15minutes...but it came on for a reason and will most likly come back on....you need to get the codes read...something is going bad or is bad...

Cracked vacuum elbow!! About the right milage!!

You do have a malfunction. As suggested, go to Auto zone and they will give you the code for free. DO NOT do anything until you post the code here. They more than likely will give you incorrect info as to how to solve it.

Trust me, we have seen just about everything here....

Thanks for the pic Coastiejoe.

Just went out and checked... thats not what is wrong with mine.. its still intact. My light came on when i first installed my cold air intake kit and has never turned off.. that was almost 3 years ago. I re-installed my factory air box a few times and reset the computer but the light still came back on after a few hours.

I checked all my connections and everything appeared to be fine.. the MAS was connected and everything. I haven't brought it back into ford to get the code checked but I think I might have to.. any ideas?

I just fixed that elbow tonight. Had Autozone check the codes P0171 and P0174. Just a easy $12.00 fix verses a $100 or more. (This is one of the things my wife likes about this site and all of you great people):D

You people are extraordinary. Checked the elbow and bingo!! it was broken as you said. I replaced it with a water hose elbow from Advance A/P ($6.95). Now I have to reset the light as it is still on. How I do that? Just disconnect the battery? Thanks guys.

My problem was with the elbow, also. I went to the dealer to see how much the part was there (the dealer is closer than the nearest Autozone or similar) and he came out with some assembly that had elbows on it that looked nothing like the one I was trying to replace. Maybe that was for the Job 1 ST and I have a Job 2? Mine looks exactly as above, cracks and all.

I went to Autozone and found an elbow that seemed the best fit and put it on, adding some clamps to keep it secure. Does anyone know what the actual Ford part number is? I'll try to post the part info for what I used from Autozone later. Is there a place to get a "true" replacement? I used the clamps since the elbow used did not have the molding that grabs onto the lip on either end when installed.

Update: Did a search including message body the second time and found a thread that has a part number. Adding the codes here so this message comes up in the searches, too: P0171, P0174, System Too Lean

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts