Check Engine Light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lomey

Reaction score
My check engine light came on a while back and I took it to Auto Zone and the code P0442 came up. I checked the gas cap and it didn't solve the problem. I took it to my local Ford Dealership today and they said they had to check it themselves for $90. I said fine I just want it taken care of. Well they call me back today and said they have to replace the vent solenoid and vapor management line and it will cost $455. They blamed it on they guys who replaced my shocks which was done over 2 years ago. I don't know much about autos, but this seems like alot of money to fix this. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Lomey

If due to shock replacement, then maybe it's been sucking dirt and fouled up the solenoid. It's not really too difficult to access, drop the spare tire and remove three bolts on the mount bracket and disconnect three hoses. How much is the part? Do It Yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply Paul. The parts are only like $70, but I don't feel comfortable doing something like that. It ended up being the same code of P0442. I will try another mechanic shop.

Lomey