Check Engine PO171 PO174

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Clark

Reaction score
Let first say what a fool I was not to come here first. Long ago I was a regular on this sight, I even went to the first couple of meetings at pudding stone (CA). But I difted away only to come crawling back begging for help!

OK I have 01 (Job 2 (?) 4x4,,, The check engine light came on and eventually even the o/d was flashing,, ..

The codes read PO171 and PO174, and the Autozone computer said that was bank 1 lean and bank 2 lean,, and the advice to change the 02 sensors,,, so I did $140 and a cramped arm later the check engine light back on,, o/d flashing,,,

Clean air filter (was full of bugs??? yes they were all dead) ,, reset computer,, after 10 miles,, check engine came on,, but the o/d did not flash,, shifting seemed crisper,, more power,,

1) So should I just replace the magic 'Elbow' and the EGR/DPFE ,,, ?

2) Is the EGR pressure feed back sensor a separate unit from the EGR/DPFE?

thanks

it is good to be back..

ok after looking at kevins pictures again,, I see there is a DPFE sensor and an EGR in 2 different locations,,, it is starting to get clearer/// so should I just replace them both?

OK, since I am kind of answering my own questions already,,

I snuck out and popped the hood beacuse the boss isn't here yet,, and I checked the magic elbow,,

1) why does it have a giant crack in it?

2) I can stick my giant Oaffen finger in there with ease,, is that bad? :D

Sorry I did not see this sooner. Would have told you to do the elbow for sure with those codes.

Sorry you wasted your money on the sensor...

I actually thought this post was a joke since it seemed off from the get go....

For the record, the DPFE sensor does not report a lean condition. It has nothing to do with the engine fuel enrichment.

The DPFE is for the EGR, nothing else. Unless the CEL points towards an EGR problem, forget about anything that has to do with an EGR system.

You dont replace the tires if you have a headlight out.

Tom

Well the real problem was I did not check the web site before I went to Autozone, ran the codes, pick their brains, picked my wallet,, and then layed in the drive way with my hand wedged behind a cat for and hour...

Some how I did not come here first,, and yes that makes me a fool...

So I will change the elbow and see where that gets me,, I will wear dunce hat off course

Last edited by a moderator:
Flashing OD light needs to be handled ASAP. Fix it now for cheap before it really costs you.

Tom

Since the O/D light was flashing, but is no longer does not mean there is no longer a need to worry.

Tom

I BTW,, I Still have my W04 sticker on my ST,,,

but some cowerdly liberal stole my "I support President Bush and our Troops" sticker off my bumper. (I am only guessing what kind of person stole it)

I hope we infect the whole of the middle east with Liberty and Freedom,,

from there I hope it spreads to worse places like France.

And yes I believe we should control our borders, no one should come to this country without going through the process, no one should over stay their visa, and so on

how is that for some politics?

Ok I snuck out to Autozone,, and bought a $6 elbow and a $1.47 box cutter,, and reset the old CEL,,, bought a cheeze burger and a soda and drove around for a while. Everything seems dandy.

I am sorry I was not smart enough to check my sport trac . com before I listen to the crazy fools at AZ,, who obviously think an ST is just like every other truck rollen down the road. On the other hand I was smart enough to check it before I took it to the dealer, last several hours(maybe a day), rented, begged, barrowed or barrowed a car to drive while the grease monkey/ tech checked every hose under the hood and charged me far more than $6 and cheeze burger to fix a stupid leaky hoze.

So once again thank you all for the help, the under standing and the fantastic archive of information you have all compiled.

Oh yah,, and on to Jesus,,

I would like to thank him for helping me buy my ST,

fix my ST for his teachings of self responceability,

intellectual honesty,

thinking out side the box,

inventing the interweb,

giving us Henry Ford,

more torque,

more horse power,

good families,

good friends,

fantasic landscapes to 4x4 over,

International Harvestor Corp,

concrete,

the new transmission Ford gave me

compassion

my wife

my dog stumpy

air conditioning

you guys

being the great conservative inpiration

and that nifty trick about turning water in to wine.