Check fuelcap light on

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clean the cap seal and the tank neck lip and re install the cap...

Did you fill up with the truck running ??

did you have rear shocks installed ??

Todd Z

Resetting the light may take driving 10 or 15 miles before the light will go out. Often times it takes 1-0 or 15 miles of driving with the fuel cap loose before it lights and it can take that long to reset after the cap is secured.

If it does not reset after about 20 miles of driving, then I would check the cap and seal. Most shops will have a gas cap tester which they can pump up and check that it holds pressure or vacuum to specs.

...Rich

OK, so I won't win any "Go Green" awards for this question, but aside from compliance with some governmental regulation, what's the big deal with having a loose fuel cap? Sometimes I think some of these new "warnings" that the hypersensitive onboard computer flashes up are nothing more than annoyances. Yeah, I'd check the cap and perhaps even replace it if that would help, but if I had this problem and it persisted, I'd pull the bulb on that stupid light and forget about it.

Now... aside from the environmental issues, tell me why this would be a bad idea.

Latest posts