Check gage flash on and off

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew N

Reaction score
Friends,

My st check gauge light recently flashed up for about 2 miles of driving then turn off by itself . Is this trouble coming or this is something normal? any one have any idea? its a 01 with 79k miles. oil change every 3k. mostly highway driven. any help will be appreciated.

Thank u

Andrew

ps. i usually run on E and put gas in the tank when the check gauge is on. but this is strange i have a 3/4 tank of gas. and was just pulled away from the gas station.

Also about the AC. its recently not blowing out cold air when put on MAX AC. nor A/C nothing but winds. any one experience problem with the AC?

Last edited by a moderator:
it is common on this year......its your oil pressure senor.......it costs between 10-14 at advanced auto. I had the same problem.....it usually happens after it sits awhile right? If this is true, then its definately your oil pressure sensor. Hope this helps

Kevin is correct about this being a common problem on early model Sport Tracs. However the easiest way to verify that it is the oil pressure sending unit is to look at your gauges when the light comes on next time. If your oil pressure guage reads "No Pressure", it's probably the sending unit. They tended to stick and unstick at random intervals.

The oil pressure gauge in the Sport Trac is not a true analog gauge but is more of an analog "Idiot Light". If there is more than about 8 PSI of oil pressure the gauge will jump to the Normal operating range. If there is less than 8 PSI, the oil pressure gauge reads zero pressure. So the sending unit is mearly a switch that turns the gauge on or off and does not actually change the gauge reading with the oil pressure variations.

The Check Gage light also acts as a "Low Fuel" gauge and will come on when you get low on gas. So you need to check your gauges for any abnormal readings.

...Rich

Mine only sticks in the winter.

Goddammit i'm jinxing myself aren't i

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts