Checked MPG Today after putting Royal Purple in Differential w/ TrickFlow diff. cover on

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I increased from 19 to 20 mpg, and that's been mostly surface streets with A/C on when needed. That also included having the TrickFlow differential cover on too. I am really surprised, if you can't tell, at the performance (and mpg increase) haveing RP (or any good synthetic) throughout. Since I did both the RP & the new diff. cover at the same time I have not way of checking how much just the new diff. cover alone makes, or just the RP MaxGear alone makes.

Roger, I like the look, having a drain plug and maybe some better heat dissipation. But how does a different cover improve mileage?

Check this website.

http://www.accel-team.com/motivation/hawthorne_02.html

The "Hawthorne Effect" applies here as far as increased mileage is concerned.

Add new, super streamlined mirrors to the Trac and get addtional MPG.

Paul, Like I said above I don't if the diff. cover has any effect on mpg, but putting the RP in I am sure went a long way to contribute to that. Maybe our resident expert, ToddZ, can shed some light on the subject.

Darin, It may only be about 1 mpg, but that equates to about an extra 20 miles per tank full ('01 has a 20.5 gal tank). I have not changed my driving habits, period. Ever since we got the ST in June of '01 I have been driving more conservatively, but I do get on it slightly once in a while since I put the RP in just for the record. After all it is a Sport Luxury Utility Truck, not a sports car; and I attempt to drive it accordingly. FYI, I have the 3:73 rear end gears.

edit:

hamradioextra, I agree that personal driving habits & driving conditions will have a bearing on the mpg. But, my own experience (which I have documented) has shown an increase in gas milage with what I have done to our ST.

Nobleman, That's good gas milage for not having done anything to your ST. But, I will guarentee you an increase in mpg if you were to just change to synthetic oil in your engine, tranny & diff. which has been documented in an independent test by Sprot TRUCK magazine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get real people. MPG is calculated over several tanks of fuel, and reduced viscocity of final drive lube in a 4000lb vehicle shaped like a brick is going to have MPG implications in the miniscule fractions of MPG range. Can I please sell you some of my special gas for your tires?

IF this stuff was a magic bullet, AND IT IS NOT, the largest customers of AMSOIL, RP, etc would be FedEx and UPS. The fact that they run conventional oils in their trucks is PROOF POSITIVE 100% that is it all BS. Rich people do not stay rich by being stupid, nor do they pas up the opportunity to make more $$.

Not that anyone cares.....

tony

You'll need to document it over months of fillups before and after to get the real picture. In my Toyota Matrix, my mileage varies quite a lot from one tank to next. I might get only 29mpg on one tank, then 35mpg on the next one. It's the average over 10-15 fillups that really show a trend.

My average is currently at 31.85mpg, and is not showing any trends of going up or down.

The difference between my wife's and my driving habits is good for about 3 mpg. I drive like there's an egg between my foot and the pedals; she thinks it's a sports car. I tested various syn oils during the first 25K miles and found no difference between them and Motorcraft Blend when it came to mpg. Just got the Xcal 2 economy tune installed so I'm seeing how that compares. Will run at least five tanks before coming to a conclusion.

Hmmm...my wife doesn't drive my ST because she is afraid she'll get in an accident and have to move out. :D

I run Mobil 1 in my truck and got 22.5 mpg last trip to Wisconsin. Normally, if I drive like a madman to work (a mix of highway and city driving), I get 18 mpg. When my trip odometer hits 366, it's time to find a gas station.

Next weekend I'm pulling the waverunner up to northern Wisconsin, so I'll have to see what my mileage is then.