chirping noise by the belt area

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max Trax

Reaction score
My 01 ST has been chirping for months now, after starting my vehicle and stays on even while idling. The sound becomes more pronouced while accelerating, it's more than annoying. I've since replaced my tensioner and belt, but yet the sound persists. The chirping did not occur prior to changing my first serpentine belt. Any clues? I 've searched the posts and some mentioned changing W/P pulleys, etc, does anyone know how to go about this troubleshoot? Thanks.

The most common problem is the idler pulley is going bad. The other possiblity is a water pump bearing or an alternator bearing. It could also just be a bad belt but serpintine belts are less likely to squeak or chirp like the old v-belts did.

I wiould check the idler pulley first, then check the bearing on the other accessories. The chirping is usually caused by a bad bearing.

...Rich

Alas, after replacing the idler pully the chirping was replaced by the sound of the engine. I knew it was the correct fix after noticing how the removed old pulley made noises when shaken, showing signs that the bearings were malfunctioning. Although the tensioner was not completely at fault, I didn't feel too bad replacing it since it was bound to fail after years of use. I am glad that this fix finally happened. Thanks for the idler pulley suggestion, it was my next bet and you guys are on top of your ST knowledge. On an another note, when did you guys replace your spark plugs for your truck's tuneup, did you wait till 100K or after a certain amount of years? Thanks.

Do your spark plugs and wires @ 60k to 65k. They are sometimes harder to get out at 100k. Aluminum heads and carbon on the threads. Also you will loose some performance and mpg after 65k. Be sure to use anti- sieze on the threads and Di-electric grease on the wire boots.

Update:

Spoke too soon, the chirping has abated since the idler pulley replacement but there are still some chirping at night, which I suspect is related to the colder ambient temperature. It seems that these pulleys more or less go bad at the same time, and requires all their replacement within a year of each other. So I will replace next my crank pulley, and alternator pulley it the next weekend or two. Will update when completed.

So I will replace next my crank pulley, and alternator pulley it the next weekend or two. Will update when completed.

Replacing the alternator pulley will not improve the situation, the bearings are internal. If you determine the alternator is the problem, take it to a rebuilder for bearings only.

I had this chirping on my 08 Adrenalin and finally I took it in to the dealer last week (2/25/09). They replaced the V belt and all is well. This can be a common issue according to the dealer. They knew exactly what I was talking about.

*update*

I recently got rid of the chirp noise found at my belt area. I found i needed my oem belt replaced which after 3 years of use, 30k mi, was the core source of the interval chirp. I followed others by using a shortened Gates belt. Previously, I replaced the idler pulley, belt tensioner, and alternator, which after 8 yrs of wear and tear, has most likely also contributed to the noise in the belt area. I hope this experience can help others in their troubleshooting process.

There is a TSB for the '07-up V6, I'm not sure about the V8. Had it done on mine, which involves a new belt and alternator bracket.

Latest posts