Cities With The Worst Pain At The Pump

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Cities With The Worst Pain At The Pump

By Matt Woolsey, Forbes.com

May 13th, 2008

Gas prices in Texas are among the cheapest nationwide, but that doesn't mean commuting by car there is light on the wallet.

Indeed, though the cost of gasoline does matter, other factors, including distance, congestion, carpooling rates and use of public transit also play important roles.

Those living in Houston and its outlying suburbs know this. By these measures, the metro ranks as the nation's ninth most affected by rising gas prices, even though the average driver pays a relatively cheap $3.49 a gallon (as of May 1). Why? Ninety-five percent of residents drive a car to work. What's more, sprawl and congestion collude to increase driving times, and clogged highways greatly cut fuel efficiency.

----------------------------------

For the rest of the story . . .

Having a daily commute into Houston I can verify there is no real public transportation, nor will there be one for many years. It's going to take prices a lot higher then they are now before something actually gets done.

Also, it doesn't help that everyone down here has a big ass SUV or pick-up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard on the radio this morning that cities in the midwest and northern part of the country (Chicago, Detroit, Indianapolis, Pittsburg, etc...) are hurting the worst, along with So Cal.

Brett

Most of these cities have created this problem themselves. There are 17 different "boutique blends" of gas required in different parts of the country. Having to refine that many different types of gas drives the price up along with other factors. I wonder exactly how much that's driven up the price and how much it would come down if there was only one type of gas manufactured and sold nationwide. Here's a map of the different types of gas required around the country:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
TT, it looks like about 80% of the country uses "Conventional", and I suspect it isn't any cheaper for those folks than any of the boutique.

It's just the opposite from what I have seen. Upstate NY (Conventional) pays a lot more than downstate NY and southeastern PA for gas, the latter two using RFG North.

TJR

TT, it looks like about 80% of the country uses "Conventional", and I suspect it isn't any cheaper for those folks than any of the boutique.

I wasn't implying that it was expensive only in the areas requiring boutique blends. My point was that having to make 17 different types of gas (oh, and don't forget summer/winter blends also), along with heating oil and everything else produced in our limited number of refineries in this country is significant factor in the cost of gasoline.

TT, I get your point. Still cheaper, easier, to refine and with more widespread refineries doesn't necessarily drive down prices. Case-in-point diesel fuel; and in particular the stuff used for commercial vehicles. It is cheaper to refine than the stuff you put in our cars, and not really scarce, but the price is through the roof right now...I can't figure out why, other than truckers are more over the barrel (pun intended) than the rest of us.

TJR

Here's a better illustration of how boutique blends affect the price of fuel (both gas and diesel):

According to Michael Ports of the Society of Independent Gasoline Marketers of Americas, "Twenty years ago, there were two blends of gasoline offered in three octane levels, and essentially one blend of diesel fuel. Today, there are more than 18 unique blends of gasoline mandated across the nation — again offered in three octane grades — and at least three different blends of diesel fuel." Okay, let’s do the math. I make it… 59 different blends of gasoline spread out over 50 states. Just to make things that much more complicated, no one refinery produces all 59 blends of gas; nor is any refinery typically dedicated to any one grade.

OK, let's say a particular blend of gas for the Atlanta area is made in, oh, Louisiana and Mississippi. And let’s further imagine that a Category 4ish storm named something like Katrina pounds through the area, heavily damaging the refineries, destroying their ability to blend Atlantagas. So, all Atlanta has to do is call up Florida and ask for some Orlandogas, right? Well, no. Turns out the closest supplier of that particular formula of gas might be somewhere like… Europe. Until some big boats brimming with Atlanta-friendly gas cross the pond, load up a few thousand tank trucks and deliver the requisite blend, the local population is forced by legislative fiat to ponder pump prices hovering around $5.57 a gallon.

What’s more, all three octane levels of Atlantagas are all likely to have unique chemical constituents that the other 56 official blends do not. Those ingredients must be transported to the refinery. Some of them, such as Ethanol, may have special production and handling requirements, which adds time, effort and, of course, money to the equation. By the time a new refinery is ready to make Atlantagas somewhere else in the country, the original refineries may start trickling back on-line. The producer must weigh the simple advantages of riding out the storm. If they’re really unlucky, another storm (call it Rita) could be heading towards the new refining location.

Speculation is another factor adding to the recent gas price fluctuations. Back when gas was $2.00 a gallon, industry experts speculated that speculation was adding five to seven cents to a gallon of gas. In the wake of hurricanes, the “investor effect” has been both more volatile and more pronounced. Basically, some heavily moneyed folks are betting against The Truth About Oil; they’re making a short-term gamble that the price of oil will keep going up. Because this strategy has been successful in recent years, more commodities investors are doing it, which inflates the demand (and price) of oil (and gas).

These factors blend together (so to speak) to create a sub-economy so complex it takes a Congressional inquiry or four to prove that "big oil" is not guilty of price gouging. Although scoring political points seems to be our elected officials’ official business, Congress would be better advised to simplify the regulatory chaos surrounding US gas production and distribution. I'm all for clean air, but there is no way that 59 different formulas of gas are necessary to accomplish this laudable goal. Picking a winning formula, even if it is more expensive to begin with, would help prevent supply and distribution problems. During times of crisis, the ability to borrow a cup of premium unleaded from your neighbor would be a strong force against severe price fluctuations, speculation and gouging.

Latest posts