Cleaned the MAF and IAC

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
I cleaned my MAF sensor and IAC valve this evening. I wouldn't have known what to do if it weren't for the info I got from this site. Special thanks to you-know-who for the project on the IAC.

The build-up under the valve would not come out by generous spraying of carb cleaner alone (q-tips won't fit around there either). I ended up using a zip-tie and fed it down and around the valve and then gently agitated it back and fourth. This loosened up the build-up which then made it easier for the carb-cleaner to liquify.

I also cleaned the MAF sensor using info I scrounged up from old posts made by you-know-who again. I went to RadioShack and for $10 I bought a little spray can of contact cleaner for the MAF. I sprayed the sensors from both sides with a quick burst. I carefully wiped off any excess and let it sit while I worked on the IAC.

Afterwards the Trac started right up, no codes or funny business and then I took her for a test drive. All seemed well. I parked the Trac to listen to the exhaust and it was rumbling smoothly. I also hope this clean-up does away with the occasional hesistant ignition.

I also stopped by the dealership to pick up 5qts of MercV and a gasket. Next project: EPC.

I believe I did Rodger. I do plan on flushing the tranny with RP or Amsoil ATF after I up the EPC. I'll look into putting the RP stuff in my rear diff.

Special thanks to you-know-who for the project on the IAC.

I also cleaned the MAF sensor using info I scrounged up from old posts made by you-know-who again.

Ouch... I have been demoted to "you-know-who " status now... That hurts... :angry:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You are the man.

I carefully wiped off any excess and let it sit while I worked on the IAC.

Let me reiterate that I was very careful not to touch the fragile looking sensor filaments! I only wiped the areas around them.