Cleaning K&N drop in filter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Tollison 3

Reaction score
I need to clean my K&N drop in filtr this week and this is going to be the first time that I have had to do it. I am going to buy the cleaning kit tomorrow. Any suggestions on how to clean it?

Thanks

Andrew

well, other than that sound advice,

just be ABSOLUTELY sure to let it completely dry before putting the oil back on. It would be best if you let it dry overnight, then apply the oil in the morning. Make sure you dont overspray the oil either because it will form droplets that may get into places it shouldnt. Add the oil, let it dry for a while, then spray the parts that you missed.

Conrad. ;)

I sit mine on paper towels overnight after I've followed the instructions (thanks Tom) to make sure the excess oil is soaked out of the filter. Nothing clogs up a intake faster than a over-oiled K&N filter.

I think I may have done that to my intake, I'm usually in a hurry when I oil the filter, I don't let it sit more than a couple hours (if that).... any suggestions so I can clean the intake inside?

Unless you have close to 50K miles on the filter, you probably don't need to clean it. K&N actuually recommends that you do not clean their filters too often since excessive cleaning can damage the cotton gauze filter media. They actually say it filters better when it's a little dirty.

I just take mine out about every 10K miles, blow a little compressed air back through the filter and clean out the air box. When I get around 50K miles I will do a thurough cleaning and re-oil it.

...Rich