Cleaning Products

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Upton

Reaction score
Ok, Im getting ready to dig out my stock adrenalin rims (2010) and put the snow tires away. There is no better time than now to polish them up before i put them back on the truck. Any suggestions on polish? I dont have much for power tools, just elbow grease! Looking for a trusted product that will not hurt the finish. Thanks all, Jim

Collinite 845 is excellent for protecting and shining any rims with a basecoat / clearcoat. Both Meguiars and Mothers make a power drill adapter to make polishing easier, and with that use something like Mothers Mag / Aluminum Polish (unprotected or exposed metal surfaces).

Thanks Chris do my stock wheels have clearcoat? I have the mothers mag/aluminum polish but have not used it on these rims yet, wasnt sure if i could.

Yes, I've been using mostly Mothers products. They have a Power Polish kit for power drills and they just released some products this year including new polishes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out some of the motorcycle cleaners like S100 or PS21. They do great and do not stain. The S100 gel works great but is aggressive so you dont want to let it set on you wheel for lone.

If they are clear-coated, wouldn't just soap and water do? Because technically you can't polish clearcoat! Only raw metal. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows, it just makes sense to me. Bob

Agreed, Bob C. One can only 'correct' a clearcoat to remove imperfections and apply a polish, sealant, or protectant overtop. The way to do that is use a corrective polish like Meguiars 105 / 205. Of course the average clearcoat thickness is less than that of a post-it note... It is typically good form to routinely protect any clearcoat, cause once it's gone the only option is refinish.

Meguiars All Wheel Cleaner is a wise choice for a cleanup on clearcoated wheels. I've had good results with it. Waiting too long to remove brake dust (especially that of OE pads) from aluminum wheels can result in nasty pitting. Same with some of the harsh road chemicals in use. Check my profile under wheel refinishing to see the worst of it.

My wheels are not pitted i clean them routinely, just wanted to shine them up nice before i put them back on the truck. Maybe i will just use a good coat of wax!