Cleaning the steering wheel

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
For several years, my steering wheel has been grimey. I found it very hard to get the dirt out of that grainy material. Tried vinyl cleaner, assorted spay on chemicals like 409, Simple Green, Greased Lighting, etc. Just assumed it was permenantly stained. Considered replacing it or maybe covering it with one of those aftermarket covers.

Yesterday, as I finished washing my ST, I took the soft spong I was using, still damp with a bit of car wash soap (Meguiars), and tried washing the steering wheel. Lo and behold! It came clean without much effort.

Just some car soap and a damp sponge. Go figure.

Shared for those of you who might have similar frustrations...

Last edited by a moderator:
That is wild...I was going to post the same message! My steering wheel looked very grimey too and I thought it was worn out. Two days ago I used Krud Kutter and couldn't believe how much dirt came off the wheel. I kept scrubbing and more dirt just kept coming off. I'm not germ-phobic, but it was kinda gross. Finished it off with a Leather Cleaning towelette. Looks and feels great now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rich

I had the same grimey steering wheel problem with my 2001 Job 1 St. I also found a way to clean it but it still go dirty quickly.In about 2003/2004 their was a service bullition for the replacement of steering wheels that were disclored or peeling. My local dealer replaced mine with a improved model ( My St was beyond 36 months) and I have not had a problem since.

The best leather and vinyl cleaner I've ever found is the stuff from the Ford dealer's parts counter. I'm not saying that just because it's from Ford. Good stuff and doesn't cost a lot.

That Meguires makes good stuff. I really like their products. I agree a leather conditioner is a good idea. :)